AARRGGHH! I'm so angry! Predator 2 disc SE FULLSCREEN!?!

Discussion in 'DVD' started by William K, Aug 20, 2004.

1. William K

William K Stunt Coordinator

How did this happen!!! I'm so mad at myself, Best Buy and Fox!

Ugh.

I bought the new Predator 2 disc SE set along with Kill Bill 2 the day after they hit the shelves - about two weeks ago I guess. I brought it home, cracked it open and began watching the extras, which I thought was great stuff. The extra footage I watched and the outtakes seemed to all be in widescreen, which was appropriate. Fast forward to last night when I decided to pop in the movie and relax for a few hours watching the flick. That's when I saw the notice on the screen regarding "formatted to fit your television".

What?

I went into the menu thinking "oh. I just didn't select the widescreen version I guess."

Nope. That's it. I bought a Full screen version.

When I bought the movie at Best Buy they had Predator 2 on the shelves in the "Sci Fi" section but no Arnie movie. I looked in the "new this week" section and again no dice. I looked in the horror and end cap displays before I found the DVD in "Action". When I did see it, there was NO obvious telling that they were selling 2 versions of this movie. Predator, that's it. No widescreen on the left and full screen on the right. It wasn't until last night when I looked at the menu sheet glued to the back of the packaging did I see FULL SCREEN. To my recollection, there was nothing on the front of this packaging stating full screen.

Now, it is my fault for not looking for that in the store. However... it NEVER occurred to me that I would need to if this was the new 2 disc SE with all the behind the scene goodies. I mean, I don't own anything DVD in full screen and usually because the movies I grab are directors cuts or SE. Why would FOX even offer this in Full Screen???
    I don't get it.

I don't know If I should take this up with BEST BUY, FOX or if I should just suck it up and buy the one I want. I really hate being snobby about this, but this is NOT what I wanted to spend my money on!

I apologize for the long angry rant, but I'm just really ticked that I wasted my money. If I wanted to watch this in Full Screen I could have waited until it aired on UPN.

Bill

2. Rolando

Rolando Screenwriter

dude, return it, exchange it. rant to the store, let them rant to Fox.

DO NOT keep it and DO NOT buy the widescreen. make sure they know you are returning this "inferior" product in exchange for the right one.

3. Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson Cinematographer

If I was you, I'd still take it back to Best Buy and in your most calm voice, clearly explain that you didn't realize there were 2 different copies and that you bought the wrong one. As long as you're replacing a title with the same title, I've found them to be very accomodating.

4. William K

I need to see if I kept the receipt. [​IMG] Will they take it back even if the DVD has been viewed?

5. R. Kay

R. Kay Second Unit

If 'Predator vs. Alien' comes out Full-Screen, I hear they're going to retitle it 'Predator 3', since the Alien will be cut out of all the shots.

[​IMG]

6. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

I almost did this myself, luckily I happened to glance at the specifications panel on the back of the case and there it stood...1.33 FULLSCREEN...I looked at the front cover to see if perhaps I missed the fullscreen legend at the top or bottom of the box but it wasn't there! Idiots...oh well so I went back to get the widescreen version so I looked...and looked...and looked...odd...they didn't have even one widescreen copy in the entire store!

I don't know if this was a simple stocking mess up or what, however that was monday and yesterday I went and looked at a completely different Best Buy and yet again only fullscreen.

I'm not exactly "enraged" about it, there are plenty of places to buy the 16:9 version, but it is a bit of a screw up on Best Buy's part & I hope it isn't a sign of things to come.

7. Jean D

Jean D Screenwriter

I understand completely, this happend to me at Best Buy when A.I. came out. I accidently bought the fullscreen one. I started to watch it and then soon realized. I tried to return it but Best Buy was being major ass's. They wouldnt let me exchange it for the same title's widescreen one. Well, after making a scene and having all the staff watch me as I left, I went to my parents house who just ordered a computer from there but it didnt come in yet. they called the headquarters and threated to cancel the order and blah blah blah. Finnally some head honcho guy in corporate called and told the same b!tch who gave me a really hard time (she said things with a severe attitude like, its my fault for not looking, blah blah blah, but they only had one version on the shelf, cause I DID look.) anyway, tehy were told to let me switch. So when I went back the girl had someone else ring me up. Funny huh? I'll tell you, I hate best buy since this. An extrememly bad experience. Now, Im super careful, and my girlfriend knows what to look for when I have her pick something up.
    My suggestion to you would be to buy the widescreen, and sell the fullscreen online and take a few dollars hit in the wallet. Unless you can convince them to exchange it. Good luck.

8. William K

Thank you Kevin, I don't feel as much of an idiot that I thought I was. I could have sworn that there was nothing on the front indicating FullScreen, my mistake was assuming!

But now I'm curious about my local Best Buy if they even have the widescreen!

I never bought the Back to the Future series for that reason. They had the widescreens when they first came out (and not to get off topic but we all remeber the issues there) but they haven't had widescreen since.

9. Jason Hughes

Jason Hughes Supporting Actor

Jason Hughes
    I did the same thing. Ba$tards! They did not have the signage marked one way or the other at Best Buy. They refused to exchange it, despite the fact that it is, well, obviously defective. Shame on Fox for not labelling this better as well (there is nothing on the front of the package stating P&S or widescreen).

Maybe Fox will do an exchange. Basically, all I have is a coffee coaster right now...

10. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm

With current market conditions, this shouldn't surprise anyone. Nearly every release today is put out with dual WS and P&S versions. Anyone who doesn't confirm that they have the correct WS version before checking out in the store is just asking for trouble.

11. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

Good thing I picked up the Widescreen by accident at F.Y.E. !!...I assumed that a SE would be the coRrect version(format). While I was driving home something told me to check it.[​IMG] ...Mine included the free ticket !!

12. Jeremy Allin

Jeremy Allin Supporting Actor

I mentioned this in another thread as it also caught me off-guard:

13. Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D Cinematographer

Heh....when I purchased my widescreen copy last week, I opened the case to find that disc one was labeled 'full screen'. Off for exchange it went. I took the free ticket for my trouble though. [​IMG]

14. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    I didn't even know there were two versions until I read it in this forum...I also happened to pick up the "right" version by chance (luckily this store doesn't carry much FS). A sticker on the shrinkwrap would have been nice, if they didn't want to ruin the artwork.

15. Travis W.

Travis W. Second Unit

The same thing happened to me only I was standing in the checkout when I realized it. I wasn't even aware that Predator was going to be in seperate versions; it also didn't help much that Best Buy so knowlingly stocks the fullscreen versions in front of the widescreen or on the above shelf. I always laugh at the idea of fullscreen anyway but to release two versions of a 1.85:1 film seems ridiculous as most people are only annoyed by 2.35:1 films (the "big black bars").

16. Jeff

Jeff Supporting Actor

I don't buy any DVD unless I see Widescreen enhanced on the back.

17. Grant H

Grant H Cinematographer

I don't think I'd have known about the dual WS and FS releases were it not for the Weekly Roundup here.

I'm even more glad that I stuck with my original DTS release of Predator. Missing tickets, The Hunt for Widescreen,...hardly worth it. Of course, I'd probably have ordered it online anyway. Then again, I've returned Sheena three times now. A lot of work just to see some good Tanya Roberts footage.

18. Jefferson Morris

Jefferson Morris Supporting Actor

It happens to all of us. I've sought out widescreen editions of movies ever since I bought a laserdisc player in 1992. Yet sometimes I still slip up - I remember having to return a fullscreen Minority Report not long ago.

One would think that the market for "fullscreen special editions" is vanishingly small, as most people interested enough in the art of film to want a special edition DVD would certainly choose widescreen. But the studios keep churning them out. I guess I must be wrong. Then again, if there isn't a significant price difference, the average consumer probably doesn't care if he's bought a "special edition" or not, just so long as every precious inch of his 4:3 CRT is filled with colorfully illuminated phosphors.

--Jefferson Morris

19. William K

But it does surprise me. Why? Because while I realize that places like WalMart feel the need to offer full screen because people don't like the "black bars" and think it is annoying. However, they aren't the consumers interested in director's cuts, studio commentary, revitalized picture quality, and new sound like DTS. Knowing this, it is beyond me why FOX would offer a 2 disc Special Edition with all the bells and whistles and yet make it FULL SCREEN! I'm curious, did FOX offer the recent 2 disk set of Alien in Full screen? When I bought that and Aliens I know it never occurred to me that it might be full screen!

Yes, I looked when it was on the shelf and there were no indications that it was full screen. It does not say so on the front, only on the rear.... yes it is my fault for not looking on the back, but it would have been nice if Best Buy had them seperated some how. There was no indication that they were different.

Bill

20. MattHR

MattHR Screenwriter

PREDATOR has got to be the title with the most DVD (R1) releases (6, by my count):

WS (non 16:9)
    WS + DTS + 16:9
    FS
    FS (Spanish version)
    WS 2-DISC SE
    FS 2-DISC SE

Why bother with a FS/SE version of a 1.85:1 film? I can't imagine there are many people interested in the special features, but prefer the movie in FS. It's like having DTS on a FS-only release. Makes no sense to me.