AAirpass: Unlimited Flights on American Airlines

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by NickSo, Oct 15, 2004.

1. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
  2. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

That is Awsome. Now send me one of the two, thanks.

3. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

Much cheaper than a private jet, especially when a flight to europe will run you what, about 20k in operating costs?

4. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

I don't understand why they state that you continue to earn AA miles...what's the point? Isn't the only benefit free flights, which you're getting already?

5. Jason Hughes

Jason Hughes Supporting Actor

Jason Hughes
    I wonder what happens if AA goes bankrupt and bellies up? Lifetime pass my ass [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Seth_L

Seth_L Screenwriter

That's great until they decide to go out of business. [​IMG]

Talk about a tax on people who are bad at math.

At 3 Million dollars, assume an average round trip ticket in first class is $2,000 (if available) you would have to fly 1500 round trips to get your money's worth. Even if you got it at 25 you would have to use it 30 times a year for the next 50 years to equal it out.

If you were to invest that $3 mil you could probably get enough dividend or interest income from your money to make 30 round trips a year and you'd still have your $3 mil at the end.

7. Bob Graz

Bob Graz Supporting Actor

Hurry, at that price quantities are limited!

8. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Maybe if you buy a ticket in advance.

But if you try to fly to Paris tomorrow and stay for a couple days, flying first class (and actually, first wasn't even available on all connecting flights, so it's a mix of First and Business)- the ticket is $7000. Try flying to RIO on one days notice- it'll cost you $10,000 plus.

Just to go from LA to Miami on one days notice is $3500. LA to Cleveland is $2500.

Basically if you plan in advance, you might find under $2000 first class, especially if you stay in the US-- but if you're talking about "on the spur of the moment travel" then the average ticket would be closer to $5k or $6k a pop.

Anyway- I would imagine anyone with the cash to even consider an item like this, it would be more a vanity/status thing more than a logical purchase choice. I wonder if you bought two if the second one was tied to a specific person, or if it could simply be used at will to get tickets for any traveller you brought along. I doubt it.

-V

9. Seth_L

Seth_L Screenwriter

Yes, but if you book the last minute there aren't going to be any first class seats available, so you'll end up in coach.

If you're in the top class of their Frequent Flyer program you would get free upgrades to first class by buying coach tickets in advance anyhow, so that dilutes the "value" of the ticket.

10. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

More, a 1st class fare on say lufthansa from denver to frankfurt is 12 grand.

I also think you get some sort of priority, it wasn't clear but I think it mentioned something like that on the website.

11. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer

Sounds like a perfect stocking stuffer. I just wonder if there will be limitations on use, like the way there are only so many frequent flyer seats on most flights, especially when everyone runs out to jump on this bargain.

12. david stark

david stark Second Unit

Also hidden away in the small print at the bottom of the page: