AAHHH!!! It happened again

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Braddock, Apr 16, 2002.

1. Jeff Braddock

Jeff Braddock Second Unit

As some of you know, I seem to have a spam magnet attatched to my email address. A while back I recieved some 400 or so identical emails from a person. Then, I got 600 some (I think). Well, it has happened again. This time I got upwards of 700 exact copies of an email sent to me. AAHHHH! Unfortunatley, I haven't gotten a chance to email the person's ISP yet, but when I do.... Sorry, just had to vent a little. It is just agravating.

2. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

Is this "person" a spammer or someone you know? Generally when I see a person getting many identical emails I immediately think of a virus. I've seen people infected with the SirCam virus, for example, send out thousands of emails to people in their address book. And, since common mail programs such as Outlook and Outlook Express have an option to automatically put everyone in their addressbook, its possible you're in someone's address book without really knowing it.
    If it is legitimate spam (is there such a thing?), then be sure to forward a copy of the message to [email protected] so it gets reported. Be sure to make sure you *don't* forward it as an attachment because many ISPs will automatically delete messages with attachments. Good luck and hope it stops, I can't imagine how irritating it is!

3. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

What does the email read? Does it have an attachment? If it has an attachment it's probably an email worm or virus. If it's someone trying to sell something then it's spam.

In most cases worms don't send multiple copies of itself to the same address (in a single pass anyway). If it's a worm, it's either a really buggy one, or someone has a corrupted address book. Also, you wouldn't be the only one getting 700 emails from this loser. If it's a spammer, it's obviously a very inept one.

KJP

4. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

I agree that spammers usually don't send multiple copies to one account. Sounds like someone's possibly trying to use your mail gateway as a relay.

5. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

Good one Michael, I didn't think of that one. Jeff, are you running your own email server? If you are, you need to disable relaying from addresses outside your network. Check your logs if this is the case.

If you're using your ISP's mail server, then relaying should already be restricted, and at the very least if relaying were successful you shouldn't be getting 700+ copies of the message. Maybe you should contact your ISP if this is the case.

KJP

6. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Jeff:
    Anothe thing you might try doing is downloading SpamKiller
    from McAfee. Go to http://www.spamkiller.com/
    This is a nice little utility that will stop all the spam and kill it from your server before you even get it.
    Parker

7. Jeff Braddock

Well guys, what the deal is....I am a college student and I can just dial in to my school's network and get "free" internet. Anyhow, this message has been sent to a hotmail account and the school has pretty strict guidlines on mass mailings so if anything strange was going out on their server, they would definatley let me know. I am working in the libarary computer lab tomorrow and I plan on running a trace on the IP of the sender and emailing their ISP about it. I hope I can get this resolved.

8. Jeff Braddock

Well, I emailed the ISP. I asked that they let me know what actions were taken to resolve the issue. I sure do hope this takes care of it.

9. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

10. Jeff Braddock

Kevin,

Sorry for not being real clear. I am receiving the spam in my hotmail account. I was just trying to explain the situation about the network and all for background and to show I couldn't do a whole lot. As far as the originating ISP is concerned, I have contacted them and they have not emailed me back (and I doubt they will).

11. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

If you're getting the spams on a Hotmail account, then it has nothing to do with your ISP, or your school's network (one in the same it appears). From what I hear Hotmail is notorious for getting spammed. I've heard stories of people opening Hotmail accounts and never using them and still receiving spam in them.

You might want to switch to Yahoo mail or see if you can get an email account at school. Then let the Hotmail account expire. That'll eliminate your problem. Of course you'd be changing your email address doing so, but at least you won't get these spams anymore.

KJP

12. Jeff Braddock

Kevin,

I do have a school account, but I have had the hotmail address for 5 or 6 years and I would hate to change it. Plus, hopefully I will be graduating next summmer, so it would be getting closed soon. Amazingly, Ido get spam occasionally on my school account too.