AAAonther BFD question?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Steve Morgan, Jun 24, 2003.

1. Steve Morgan

Steve Morgan Second Unit

Steve
    I have 2 subs. The SVS is connected to in/output 1 and the Von Schweikert S/3 sub is on in/output 2. Which is left engine and what is right? Is in/output 1 the Left channel and 2 the right? Also I need to set each sub differently so I do not want couple mode, how do I get the Left and Right engine lights to be active at the same time without being in couple mode? I need to cut 12 db's at 40hz on the PB2 and 10db's at 40hz on the S/3 with a 1/3 octave bandwidth.
    Thanks for your help.

Steve
    BTW I have Sonnie Parkers site printed out and in book form.

2. Greg Bright

Greg Bright Second Unit

Gregory Bright
    I'll be honest. I tried the separate approach first using one channel for the corner sub and the other for the powered towers. What a mess to calibrate! They're both coming from the same sub output on the receiver, right? That taught me a time consuming lesson. Now I split the signal from the receiver to both BFD channels, use couple mode, adjust the volume levels on the sub and towers so that I NEVER have to increase ANY frequency, just cut. Then it's just a matter of adjusting for the overall frequency response at the primary listening position. Mileage may vary in other systems, but this is what has worked best for me.

Greg

3. Steve Morgan

Steve Morgan Second Unit

Steve
    Greg , thanks for the info but this did not answer my questions. I know there are alot of BFD owners out there. Come on guys help me out!

Steve

4. Greg Bright

Greg Bright Second Unit

Gregory Bright
    Steve,
    I'll get back to you on what is right and what is left. Assume you have a manual. You really DO want coupled mode. Adjusting two subs with two different sets of 12 band equalizers is much more than a body can stand. Adjust coupled using SPL meter and good Excel adjusted spreadsheet for best overall response at prime listening position. I have 3 different subs in 3 locations, use coupled mode, and am flat +/- 3dB from 18Hz to 200Hz (at the prime listening position).

In your case, 10dB in one channel vs. 12dB in the other - barely audible differences.

Greg, who's into common sense home theater