What's new

Aaaahhh! Garbage Strike!! (1 Viewer)

Craig A

Stunt Coordinator
Well... nothing complements the hot humid weather like stinking piles of rotting refuse. Why can't a grabage strike happen in the winter? Now it's just in time for a million extra people to flood the city for Gay Pride Week. Luckily I no longer live near Church Street, or Spadina (if you know Toronto, you know what a horror Spadina will be in only a day or two!)

KyleS

Screenwriter
The garbage people have more power in their hands then people think. I have seen in many different cities that within 1 week they had a new contract because the city was losing money due to tourism drop off, people complaining, etc. Hopefully they will resolve their dispute soon and clean up the garbage that has been collecting.

KyleS

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Went though one of these several months back. Those big trash bins behind the local strip mall saved me from a stockpile of trash at my house:)
Peace Out~:D

KyleS

Screenwriter
Ron not to give you a hard time but you know that dumping your trash in someone elses trash bin is Illegal. ;)
Now that being said I would just take my garbage down to the city council and drop it off their telling them you dont have anywhere else to put it so fix the damn strike. :angry:
KyleS

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Haven't had a garbage strike while I've been where I am yet, but we get the next best thing every winter. For some reason the city of Saskatoon decided it would be a good idea to cut garbage pickup from once a week to once every two weeks during the winter where I live a few years back.

What makes this really fun is I live where there are often 4-6 university students in a house. As a result we have moderately sized round bin for 4 houses with 4-6 people per house. So invariably the bin overflows during the winter.

Then what makes things even better is garbage pickup is one guy in a truck with a hydraulic setup to dump the garbage. So first time the bin is a little too full not everything makes it into the garbage truck. For some reason I always end up putting everything that missed back into the bin. Could have something to do with the fact that the bin is right by my garage door, which exits into the back alley.

So now garbage has been picked up, but the bin is already a 3rd full and we have 2 more weeks until the next pick up. Just gets worse and worse every two weeks until some holiday weekend happens where people leave town for a while.

Lance Nichols

Supporting Actor
Must resist comments about certain political parties, ex leaders of said parties, and something about down loading.....
That being said, can't think of a better reason to celebrate having moved to Markham nearly three years back now. BBQ tonight!
I do miss the ability to hop on a bus and be on Yonge in 15-20 minutes.
Man, GP week is going to "stink" this year. Hope the squirt guns are loaded with rose water this year. :) The city certainly as chosen a poor time to take a stand, what with Gay Pride week, then the World Youth days thing around the corner, oh and inside workers looking for a new contract too.

Craig A

Stunt Coordinator
Hey, thanks David VP! I hate making grammatical errors. I didn't even notice that one.
Kyle, I too will resist bringing politics into this and placing the blame on any groups or individuals. Toronto needs more money, but also manages to "waste" a lot of it too. No pun intended.
So far the streets are still relatively clean. I think I'll bike by Chinatown on the way home and see how they are handling things :)

Rob_J

Stunt Coordinator
Craig:
Better hang some air fresheners from your bike helmet, last time I walked down in that area I had to hold my breath. Of course when I finally needed to fill my lungs again, I was forced to take a deeper breath. Not fun :frowning:
KyleS:
I heard a radio personality this morning asking people to drop off their garbage at the union headquarters. Couldn't help but think that's a good idea. :D
Dustin B:
I just moved to Toronto from Saskatoon in January and I know what you're talking about, but I still think Saskatoon is a little ahead of TO on the garbage front. Those black bins are where it's at! For most people one of those bins is just big enough to last two weeks. Mind you, people aren't really garbage-conscious out there like they are here. Just be thankful you don't have to sort for recycling! (not that I'm against recycling--I think it's great, just a hassle sometimes) Oh, and I haven't heard of anyone being dumped into a garbage truck and taken to the dump around here.....yet :wink:

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I heard a radio personality this morning asking people to drop off their garbage at the union headquarters. Couldn't help but think that's a good idea.

------------------------------------------------------------

Last time I looked there has always been two parties involved in a labor dispute. Maybe people should take their garbage and throw it in front of the city manager's house or the Mayor's house or the City council's houses. It gets tiresome constantly reading about how every thing seems to be the fault of Unions. I belong to a Union and quite frankly the most regressive personalities seem to be belong to what is laughingly referred to as "management". I work for a company run by an American and from his actions and mentality I think he still thinks it is 1892------not 2002.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NenaSiddall
Recent bookmarks