What's new

AAA XBox titles...where are they? (1 Viewer)

paul h

Supporting Actor
I've had my box for a few months now and for the past couple its been sitting doing nothing, once i'd finished with Halo its been pretty damn redundant. Dont get me wrong im not knocking the box, i loved every minute of Halo but i want something else of that quality...and yep i've played Gotham, Oddworld, Hunter, Wreckless and others. IMHO none of those come anywhere near Halo or games like GTA3.

I remember reading in threads way back before the box was released about secret games in development that were amazing and would blow us away...so where are they???

Chad Ellinger

Second Unit
Not to start another "console war" thread, but I think that this is the fundamental flaw with the XBox. Great hardware? Absolutely. Great games? Definitely. But it still doesn't have that handful of "killer apps" that really make you need an XBox. PS2 has GTA3, Gran Turismo, and Final Fantasy. Gamecube has Mario, Zelda, and Resident Evil. But what about XBox? No doubt JSRF and Buffy are great "A" titles, but they're certainly not "AAA" - titles that sell systems.

On the brighter side, XBox really has some great exclusive franchises coming up this fall, including Sega's Panzer Dragoon and Tecmo's Ninja Gaiden. This fall should be great for all gamers, regardless of what system(s) you have.

Todd Schnell

Second Unit
Me I would add Dead Or Alive 3 & Ralli Sport Challenge.
YMMV.
Your right though XBox while an awesome system is severly lacking original AAA titles.
Hopefully by the holiday season the XBox will really show its muscle.

Todd

Ian_Fisher

Stunt Coordinator
I agree on Ralli Sport Challenge, I think that is a AAA title, and probably one of the best racing games I've ever played. That, Halo, and Jet Set Radio Future are "killer apps" in my book. Then there are games like Buffy, NFL2K3, Dead or Alive 3, and many more that are just kick-ass games!
I think a lot of people forget, the PlayStation2 line-up was fairly misserable for a year. In fact, I think it was like 9 months before GranTurismo 3 came out and was finally a game worth buying. The GameCube hasn't faired too much better, with Star Wars: Rouge Leader being the only killer app. (I have Resident Evil, and I think that is also a great game, but didn't hold my interest as long as I thought it would.)
All in all, I love all my consoles, but I have to say the two I get the most enjoyment out of are my DREAMCAST and my X-BOX.

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
The Fall is when the X-box will really heat up. Panzer Dragoon Orta, Splinter Cell, Shenmue 2, Tony Hawk 4, The Thing, and Unreal Championship will be released. :emoji_thumbsup:
-Dean-

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
This is the only reason I haven't gotten an XBox. The only game that I am interested in is Halo, all the others I can get the game or ones like it elsewhere. I don't care about dvd playback, I don't care about the online play, I don't care about the hidef output or the digital 5.1 sound.

mourad

Grip
In terms of exclusive AAA title, I think that the Xbox is in a better position than the other 2 consoles.

Obviously, tastes vary but personaly I can see that I need at least $500 (and quit my job) to buy and find time to play any of the following Xbox exclusive titles: Blinx, Brute Force, Sega GT 2002, Toejam & Earl III, Shenmue 2, Unreal Championship, DOA Xtreme Beach Volley Ball, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Splinter Cell.

Troy LaMont

Supporting Actor
Patience young grasshopper... :)
So what was the killer app the first 10 months into the PS2 release? It didn't exist.
Give it some time, killer games come in time. And just like everyone has stated here, different strokes for different folks.
Personally my 'killer games' for Xbox that make me proud to have the system include;
  • Halo - duh!
  • Max Payne
  • Enclave
  • Madden 2K3 - for the sports fans
  • Spiderman
  • Xbox Live - Nuff said! (I know it's not a game)
  • Elder Scrolls III - Nuff said!
  • Any other game that has 480p and 5.1 sound and plays well - LOL :)
The 'killer games' that I'm most look forward to;
  • I don't think I have enough space for them all! :laugh:
I don't usually play PS2 games unless it's like a 9.5 or higher because on my setup PS2 just doesn't look or sound as good. I know that's anal, but that's how I like it.
Troy

James Zos

Supporting Actor
I like Xbox better than any of the other consoles, but have to say I too have percieved a derth of "must have" software. Enclave looks and plays great yet the lack of a save system ruins it for me (and a lot of reviewers). Dead to Rights, which was really built up hype-wise before its release, has been getting spanked soundly by many reviewers.
This isn't going to make me run out and buy another console, just like I wouldn't get rid of my PC if there was a dry stretch for PC games, but it IS disapointing.
As for current AAA titles, I would definitely add Hunter to that list, especially for multiplayer.

Jared_B

Supporting Actor
AAA
Halo
*MechAssault
*Unreal Championship
*Sega GT2002
*Blinx
A
Project Gotham
DOA3
Rallisport
Hunter (esp. multiplayer)
Buffy
*Crimson Skies
*ToeJam & Earl 3
*Panzer Dragoon
*Robotech Battlecry
*SW: Knights of the Old Republic
Halo still keeps me and 7 other friends occupied on the weekends. The other "A" titles are good for when I get bored of Halo (which is usually only a momentary lapse in judgement).
(*) titles based on specs alone - they all should be excellent games.
This will be the most expensive fall ever, between DVDs and games.

Ian_Fisher

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with the "High Priest o' Joss"...I mean, if anybody is qualified to critique a Buffy related item, it’s him! Buffy the Vampire Slayer is a very fun game, and I’m definitely glad I picked it up, but I don’t think it’s an AAA title (unless you are comparing it to PS2’s The Bouncer, then it’s game of the freakin’ year!). I think Buffy is more like The Mark of Kri on the PS2. WONDERFUL game and I really enjoyed it, but it does have some flaws that keep it from being perfect. I’ve only tried Hunter on the OXM demo disc. I thought it was fun, but my brother-in-law said that it’s a little too short. He said he rented it and had no problem completing the game before he had to take it back.

IMO, the biggest void in the X-Box library is a Grand Theft Auto type of game. I think that’s why people got so excited about Dead to Rights, because they thought that the X-Box had finally filled that niche. Hands down, that is the reason I still give my little PS2 a kiss on the forehead before I go to bed.

I have a GameCube, but I really think that if Nintendo were smart, they’d do what Sega did. I bought a GameCube for Zelda and Metroid and their other licensed titles (although I’m on the fence about Mario Sunshine.

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
I would add Brute Force to the "future AAA" club. Man, that one has had me juiced since the trailer on the OXM disc four or five months ago. I just wish it supported system link (or better yet, XBL).

Jay_Sharp

Stunt Coordinator
Let's not forget:
Splinter Cell
Peter Moleunx's Project Ego
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
I'd say these are definetly AAA

Also looking forward to:
Blade 2
Terminator: Dawn of Fate
LOTR
BloodRayne
Vexx
Malice
Reign of Fire
Whacked

Troy LaMont

Supporting Actor
Oh, and don't forget (although a year later) that MGS2 is coming home and being represented properly on the Xbox. :)
Troy

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
Wow, can't believe I forgot about Splinter Cell. That game looks amazing! Definitely a potential AAA title.

AaronMg

Stunt Coordinator
I've had my box for a few months now and for the past couple its been sitting doing nothing, once i'd finished with Halo its been pretty damn redundant.
I totally agree. I picked up my xbox on launch day along with Madden 2002 and Halo. Ever since then, my xbox has been consuming rentals.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks