A2 Audio Dropouts

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
I have had the A2 for nearly a week now and have experienced occasional audio dropouts. I currently have my audio connected via optical cable. The dropouts are infrequent (one or two per movie) and brief (fraction of a second). However, they have occurred often enough that I know they're not a fluke.

1. Is anyone who has their A2 hooked up via optical experiencing anything similar?
2. What is the most likely culprit? Is it likely a firmware issue that can be addressed in a future update or is it possible it's the cable itself?

Thanks.

John Lloyd

Stunt Coordinator
I am using the optical connection on my A2. I get audio dropouts when I use "chapter advance" to move around in the movie. If I play the disc sequentially it seems to be fine.

John

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
Interesting. I have indeed been using the chapter buttons a bit much this past week. (Since I just got the player a week ago I still find myself flipping around the discs enjoying the eye candy.) Perhaps that is a contributing factor.

If anyone else is experiencing similar symptoms please let me know. Thanks.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
I've only gotten dropouts when playing the audio calibration stuff on Avia. it actually seems to skip around, jumping back a speaker at times. Weird...

Litespeed

Auditioning
Real Name
Tito
I too experience the random, relatively infrequent, but annoying split-second audio dropouts. Once while playing Bourne Supremacy and another with Smallville HD. I am connected via optical.

I'd like to know if anyone connected via HDMI experiences these dropouts.

Real Name
Josh Crackle
I'm the same as John. I haven't experienced any dropouts unless I skip a chapter. For about 2-3 seconds the movie is playing without sound, until the audio kicks in. Not much of an annoyance for me, really.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

I get the dropouts on optical without jumping around ... they just happen here and there ...

Annoying.

Regards

Brian L

Premium

Same here Jack.

It seems that the tones for specific channels play correctly, but if I play the circulating channel pans, its all over the map. Clearly the A2 does not like some parts of Avia.

Having said that, I did not detect any audio drops outs during the 1/2 dozen or so films we have screened thus far...knock wood!

Brian

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
I am curious to know if the new firmware release might by chance address this issue. I have not applied it yet to find out.

Litespeed

Auditioning
Real Name
Tito
I posted this on AVS:

"I too get the split second audio drop outs, randomly with any HD DVD. Superman Returns, Smallville, Bourne Supremacy. I have a Yamaha 5960 receiver via toslink. I'm hoping the new firmware will fix this (after they fix the servers so mine can update)."

And here was a reply:

No A2 firmware from Toshiba is going to fix a receiver issue. Some receives have problems processing the maximum bit rate over toslink. Not a issue with SD DVDs since the audio bits are much smaller.

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
Excellent point, Michael. I haven't played hardly any SDVDs on my A2 yet but if the dropouts occur with them as well then it seems that it would pretty much rule out the receiver.

RobertDW

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert D Wehe

I believe the player converts the audio to 1.5mbps dts and outputs this via toslink regardless if it's a HD DVD or standard DVD title. Some older receivers and many older Sony A/V receivers simply can't do that data rate.

Adam Barratt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
All DTS soundtracks used to be 1509kbps on DVD, and every DTS decoder must be able to handle this bit-rate without difficulty (or it wouldn't have received DTS certification). By most standards 1509kbps is a low bit-rate (barely above CD and much less than the 24/96 PCM stereo audio passed by many DVD players since the late 1990s).

My XA1 converts only next-gen audio formats (Dolby Digital Plus/TrueHD) to DTS, not DTS or Dolby Digital soundtracks on DVD. Doing so would be completely redundant, so it seems unlikely the A2 does this either.

Adam

DWHTeach

Auditioning
Real Name
Douglas Hill
I have had dropouts with this player while playing a CD. My Yamaha RX-V2400 is not THAT old and is DTS certified. I have NO problems with the optical connection on my 211 Dish receiver. The problem is in the Tosh HD-A2 ( in my opionion). Hook it up with RCAs and the problem will go away.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I experienced an audio dropout on King Kong last night - even after upgrading to firmware 1.2. I tried to repeat it, but couldn't.

I don't buy it's a receiver issue as my PS3 has never done this.

wolffcub

Agent
Real Name
Scott
I had the audio dropouts a few times when using the optical connection. Now I’m using the HDMI for audio has it has never dropped out (about 20 movies viewed with the HDMI hookup)

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NC_Mike