What's new

A "Your Posts" Suggestion (1 Viewer)

Luke_Y

Second Unit
FIRST- Ron, Parker, and the Admin staff; This is an excellent site and you do the best job on the web. Thanks for providing a wonderful community for all of us to hang out in.
A suggestion I have, if it is even possible, is about a "Your Posts" or "Your Threads" button. You know the envelope with the dot in it that shows that you have contributed to or started a thread... Well it would be great if you had one of those Icons on the main forum page. You could click the icon and a new window would open showing a list of "your threads" similar to a search result pg. The "Your Threads" Icon could go in or next to the "Welcome Box" that welcomes you back and tells you the last time you visited.
This way when you arrived at the forum you could click the icon, and in a new window give due attention to threads you are participating in, close the window and peruse the rest of the forum at your leisure. It would be particularly useful if you only have a few minutes to spend on the forum and want to see whats going on in your threads without checking in to ALL the forums.
Anyway, just a suggestion :)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Luke,

Parker is the guy to reply to this, but I
think your idea is a great one.

There are some new improvements on the way
with a new version of the BBS software we are
running as far as how you can list messages.

I am sure Parker can bring you up-to-speed on
what the new software can do, but I think your
idea is a terrific one.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Luke:

Nice suggestion. I am reluctant to do this though because it would add yet another call to the search function of the forum. For the majority of the time the reason that the forum slow downs during the day and we experience large loads on the server during peak times is related to the search function.

Once we get our load issues resolved then this is something that I am sure that I could get implemented in the future.

Parker

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Luke:

I decided to implement this. I put a link at the top of the forum call "My Posts" next to the "View Most Recent Posts" and "Last 30 Posts" links.

See if this is what you were wanting.

Parker

Luke_Y

Second Unit
WOW! That was fast :D You guys are responsive, that's why you are the best.
What you did works quite well.
What I had envisioned was a bit different, but I admittedly know little about the software used to run these boards. :b I had thought you might be able to use the "cookies" or whatever is used to generate the "Dot Envelope" that you see when you browse the forums. That way maybe the search function would not have to be used and less strain on the server. When you clicked the link a new window with a normal forum page would come up except ALL the threads would be "Dot Envelopes" from ALL the sub forums. The page would be formatted the same as a regular forum page and you could use the drop menu to set "show threads from" the last 10 days for example, or whatever your cookie is set to now in preferences.
Like I said, my knowledge in this area is quite limited so that type of thing may not even be possible. I do appreciate your responsiveness and am glad you think it is a good idea.

Luke_Y

Second Unit
OK I thought about this a bit and the answer may already be there. Is it possible for you to add a category in the User Control Panel- Options? If so you could add-
"Automatically Subscribe To Threads That I Start Or Participate In- Yes/NO"
Then a person could use the existing "My Subscribed Threads" function at the top of the main page for this purpose if desired.
Just a thought :)
Of course one could learn a new habit and manually subscribe to all the threads they start or participate in also.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks