What's new

A year without feeding my Blu-Ray addiction... (1 Viewer)

LeeBob

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lee Solheim
This may not be the best forum for sharing this, but I am taking a year off from purchasing any Blu-rays, 3D Blu-rays or digital movies (which I rarely do anyway). Although I am fairly good at shopping for bargains, I also purchase a lot of "must have" new releases and my annual spend is larger than I care to admit. I have (as I am sure many of us do) unopened packages on my shelf - which I intend to watch over the course of the next year.

It remains to be seen if I will stay the course.
Wish me luck!
Lee

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor
I have nearly stopped buying any movies. I have a pretty decent collection that I rarely watch any more. It might partly be burnout after so many years of buying content, but I know it's partly due to exhaustion after a long workday. I rarely have the attention span to carefully watch a movie like I used to do. Nowadays, I'll casually watch shorter content, or listen to music while browsing, or read, etc.

In the last 6 months, I think the only things I've bought were:
Creature Set
Thing from Another World
Outer Limits Season 2

I haven't even finished Outer Limits Season 1, so I haven't touched Season 2 yet.

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
I quit buying discs a few years back due to the fact that I did a review of my habits and realized finally that almost every disc sitting in a box was either never (shrink wrapped still) watched or watched once and never seen again. I kept thinking "why am I throwing all this money away!?" So now when I see piles of discs at WM or Target on Black Fridays going for even $5 I just walk on by.

It was quit liberating to quit that madness.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I don't buy as many as I once did, but seeing a favourite old movie released on Blu-ray, ordering it & looking forward to seeing it (& then seeing it) is a pleasure I don't want to pass up. I need to spend my spare cash on something I like, Blu-rays, wine, a new shirt, an old camera (I keep buying them for some reason, they're all over the house). My un-viewed Blu-rays are mostly TV box set, & I'm slowly going through them all & enjoying them very much (my last TV purchase was Westworld season 2, but it doesn't look like I'll get round to than 'till April.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
I could never do that. I waited too long to buy something I wanted and now the only way to get it is through 3rd party sellers for an arm and a leg. Just bought 7 BDs from Big Lots for $3 a piece.

Collecting is my hobby and will continue until I can't anymore. I have a beautiful dedicated home theater and I use it everyday for movie watching only.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
I could never do that. I waited too long to buy something I wanted and now the only way to get it is through 3rd party sellers for an arm and a leg. Just bought 7 BDs from Big Lots for $3 a piece.

Collecting is my hobby and will continue until I can't anymore. I have a beautiful dedicated home theater and I use it everyday for movie watching only.

I love looking for bargains - I have 11 Blu's coming in today from Hamilton Books, including several 3D titles, that average out to $4/apiece.

Dave Blair

Agent
Real Name
David Blair

I agree. This is a crucial time for physical media. A purchase is, in fact,a vote for the type of media and content that you are willing to buy. It is the only way that I can demonstrate my passion for restorations, pressings of difficult to find films , 3D etc. if you have the money then don’t sit on the sidelines and watch physical media wither.

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
Is buying a used disc actually a "vote" for anything since the studio wouldn't register the secondary market sale, just the sale when it was bought new or am I thinking that wrong?

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
(This may sound really realy silly).

The few discs I purchased over the past year or so, were mostly $2 (or $5) titles which I knew (or suspected) had some extra basketcase drm on them. Basically extra drm beyond dvd's generic CSS and RC/RCE, which makes disc ripping much more difficult to do successfully.

I have this sordid hobby of deciphering how extra basketcase drm functions, which involves reading and figuring out the code in the *.ifo files from a basketcase dvd. (The actual content on these basketcase discs is largely irrelevent or incidental).

Last edited:

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
In contrast, the drm on bluray discs isn't as exciting to examine/decipher. With the exception of BD+, just about every extra basketcase drm scheme for bluray discs, isn't much more than the old dvd extra basketcase drm schemes on steroids.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
That's great Peter!
I love looking for bargains - I have 11 Blu's coming in today from Hamilton Books, including several 3D titles, that average out to $4/apiece.

I have so many coming, it's fun to get them. From Germany...VENOM 3D, MORTAL ENGINES 3D from the UK, DRACULA and the CURSE OF FRANKENSTEIN from the UK.

From the USA, I have AQUAMAN 3D, THE GRINCH, both 3D and LASERBLAST 2D from DD.

I have bought over 25 USED 3Ders from various dealers in the UK and the USA in the last year.

Every single disc has been in perfect condition...what can I say.

I'm glad that I have the dollars to buy them...life is short, so, I'm buying them like there is no tomorrow!!!

Last edited:

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
The Hamilton order arrived, I miscalculated. 12 movies. Brand new.

Waiting for my first mediamerchuk to arrive next week. Dr Strange 3D.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
My DVD/Blu-ray purchases have virtually stopped, due to financial and space constraints. The Invisible Man Legacy Collection and PHANTOM OF THE OPERA (1943) Blu-rays are all that I've purchased since our move last August. The latter was a spur of the moment purchase at one of our local Giant Tiger outlets right before Christmas. "Phantom's" visual quality is excellent, by the way!

CHEERS! :)

PMF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
[...]It remains to be seen if I will stay the course.
Wish me luck!
Lee
Interesting day to begin this discipline;
after all, Screen Archives has just begun their 7 for $70 bundle sale of Twilight Time titles.
Sorry, LeeBob, I couldn't resist.:D

Last edited:

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
There has to be some sort of happy medium between buying stuff just to buy it and having it sit unopened and buying stuff that truly makes you happy. I don't take the risk of waiting on anything I want anymore since the Fox Archives debacle. I snagged WOMAN'S WORLD but didn't jump quickly enough on CONEY ISLAND and now they're already out of print and fetching ridiculous prices. My nerves can't handle that!!!

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I agree completely, Will.

I liked the movie “First Man” and saw it in theaters. I intend to buy it at some point. But I don’t feel a desire to rewatch it yet, and since it’s a major title from a major studio, I’m not worried about longterm availability. I’ll either buy it the next time I feel like watching it, or when it’s onsale at a price low enough that I won’t mind spending the money even if I’m not immediately watching the disc. It’s a movie I’d like to have but not one I feel the need to put much effort or urgency in getting.

I love the movie “Beat the Devil” which Twilight Time is putting out this month. It’s a limited edition of only 3000 copies. It’s certainly possible and perhaps likely that another international distributor might pick it up for a non-limited release, but there’s no guarantee. That movie could take years to sell out, or it could disappear in a few months - there’s no real way to know in advance. I’ll buy that right away because I’d be disappointed if I wasn’t able to get one. That may mean that I’m paying more for it than someone waiting for a potential sale. For that movie, it’s worth it for me.

Balance is everything. For me, it was learning to ignore the impulse to buy something solely because it was a good deal, and also giving myself permission to just buy the things I wanted when I wanted them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fluidscapes
Recent bookmarks