A wrong I hope to right.

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Dillon*G, Dec 1, 2004.

1. Dillon*G

Dillon*G Second Unit

When I first started buying dvd's I bought full screen dvd's,for reasons uneducated buyer's do.Then friendly people (like yourselves) taught me the wonder of widescreen.I have about 40 foolscreen dvd's in my 400+ collection and i'd like to get the widescreen versions of them.Is there any cheap way to get widescreen versions of fullscreen dvd's?

Any help would be greatly appreciated [​IMG]

2. Joshua Lane

Joshua Lane Second Unit

3. David Ruiz

David Ruiz Second Unit

Allow me to be the first to say, that Ebay is the wrong way to go about this. While it's true that you can sometimes get GREAT deals on DVDs on Ebay, the FACT is, that most of the time, the sellers send you BOOTLEGS! I have gotten bootlegs of DVDs even from sellers who had 100% positive feedback, so it just goes to show, you can't really trust anyone.

I highly suggest you use this site:

DVD Price Search

You type in the name of the movie at the top, and it gives you a list of the places where you can get it at the lowest price. Most of the time, you will find that DeepDiscountDVD.com has the best price, and for that, I suggest you wait for their super 20% off sale, for great values.

4. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    First of all, it's great to see that you've seen the light. It's never too late!

Why don't you post a list of your fullscreen DVD's? Some may be P&S-only (like The Sting) or may be OAR after all (like The Shining).

5. ArthurMy

ArthurMy Supporting Actor

I hate to keep harping, but The Shining is not in its theatrical OAR. It is in full screen due to Mr. Kubrick's wishes back in the days of VHS and laserdisc to present the film on home video open matte. It's original theatrical ratio, the ratio his camerman has said he framed the film for is 1:85 for the US and 1:66 for the rest. OAR to me is the theatrical ratio the film was projected in. What directors or anyone else feel after the fact is fine and dandy, but I want the OAR at least as an option.

6. SteveK

SteveK Supporting Actor

Dillon - Congratulations on realizing the error of your ways from the days when you bought fullscreen. I've been very satisfied with the Columbia House DV2 club. Not the main CH club, but the DV2 club, as it operates completely differently. There are no automatic shipments, every selection is at least 40% off list price, and there is free shipping on everything. You pay a $10 yearly membership fee, but the first year you get a free DVD (from a limited selection) after you pay your $10. I've found their prices to be slightly lower than DeepDiscountDVD, often substantially lower, especially on multi-disc sets.

I've been a DV2 member for about 7 months now, and have purchased nearly 30 titles from them, so that certainly proves I'm satisfied with their service and prices. You don't get the 5 DVDs for 49 cents each that you get with Columbia House, but you also only have a 1 disc per year obligation, not to mention avoiding the hassle of automatic shipments, etc. I'd highly recommend them to anybody looking to buy DVDs.

Good luck!

Steve K.

7. Terry H

Terry H Second Unit

Exactly what I would do. Pick up what you can through CH enrollments and pricesearch the rest.
    Sell the foolscreens on half.com or Amazon marketplace. You might be able to trade them in at Gamestop or Blockbuster.