Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Todd Erwin

A Wrinkle in Time UHD Review
A-Wrinkle-in-Time-1024x576.jpg

Disney’s second attempt to adapt Madeleine L'Engle’s classic children’s novel A Wrinkle in Time tries way too hard yet achieves so little.

[review]

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I liked the movie more than Todd did, but it still has plenty of flaws. I was never bored by it and it had a couple of interesting visuals...

I don’t know if I can translate this properly into words but it felt to me that one of the film’s biggest failings was that it took for granted that we, the audience, would be blown away by the visuals and the pseudo-science. And that may have been the case if this movie had come out right when the book was released. But in 2018, CGI visuals and generic sci-fi concepts in and of themselves aren’t jaw dropping.

Before the film was released, I kept seeing the same promo clip at Regal theaters where the cast and director kept repeating that no one has every seen anything like this before. I think the opposite is true - we’ve seen these kind of visuals frequently. It’s not a problem that the film has CGI. It’s a problem that the filmmakers apparently didn’t realize how similar their film was to many others and acted as if they were the first to show us this particular trick.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Oprah looks so ridiculous in this that I cannot bring myself to watch it. Mindy and Reese don’t look much better. :D

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
My biggest problem is that it took Meg's journey, which was very specific in the book, and turned it into a very generic "girl power" empowerment story. In the movie, it is the absence of her father that causes her problems in school; in the book, it's her unconventional way of thinking -- being very bright but socially awkward, and arriving at answers correctly, but not getting there via the method being taught. In the end, it's her inability to conform that saves the day. That undercurrent is lost in the movie.

I also missed the religious overtones, especially when some profoundly moving Bible verses were replaced with some more flippant secular quotes that didn't make the point as effectively.

Loved the visuals, though, and I thought Reese Witherspoon and Mindy Kaling were terrific as Mrs. Whatsit and Mrs. Who -- and Deric McCabe was borderline miraculous as Charles Wallace.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Damn you guys. You’re gonna make me watch it aren’t you??:lol:

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
The greatest sin this film commits is thinking that Meg was the main character of the book, when it was actually Charles Wallace. All other mistakes (the plotholes, Calvin being pointless, Mrs. Whatsit being super annoying, etc.) all seem to stem from that initial one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks