A work in progress

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Dave Moritz, May 1, 2006.

1. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Producer
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    My theater is most likely concidered to be modest and run of the mill. It does ok and I guess you can say it works, not as nice other others systems but oh well.

I am working on getting some photos of my HT and hope to have them posted sometime soon. How do I post them on this site, have never done that before.

My Current Set up that I have been working on and upgrading over the past 8+years:

Yamaha RX-V995 5.1 Surround Reciever (DD/DTS 5.1)
    Sony DVP-S9000 ES DVD Player
    Denon DVD-2200 DVD/DVD-A/SACD Player
    Marantz LV-520 Laser Disc Player
    Yamaha AC-3 Demodulator - for Laser Disc Player
    Denon DCD-1290 Compact Disc Player
    Denon DTR-2000 DAT Recorder
    JVC QL-50 Turntable with Sure Tone Arm & Cartridge
    Panasonic RV-9660 VHS 4 Head Recorder
    Sony KDF-E50A10 50" LCD HDTV

Altec Lancing A7 Voice of the Theater - Main Speakers
    Polk Audio CS100 - Center Channel
    Advent Marble - Rear Speakers, am using 1 pair each for rear channels.

This system has evolved from a simple 2 channel system for music to two channel audio/video. To a prologic surround sound system to adding a McItosh MX-130 preamp. To what it is today a sub McItosh HT but a decent HT just the same. I am hoping to add a 1080p projector with a 120" screen, Blu-ray HD Player, update my center channel and rear speakers. And upgrade my Yamaha reciever and maybe add a nice 7 channel power amp.

I am planning to refinish my Altec A7's as that will visually make my HT look more high end than it is.

2. andySu

andySu Cinematographer

Dave

Well those Altec A 7 should give more justifiable sound to the soundtracks on laserdisc and DVD hail Altec Lancing!

3. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Producer
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    Hey AndySu, thanks for the nice coments [​IMG]. I really like how a good DTS track sounds with my A-7's. I can not wait to see how good the new surround formats sound with them.

4. andySu

andySu Cinematographer

Dave

Where talking about dts-ES or the new Dolby Digital Plus 7.1?

If your going to place surrounds in the room, a cluster is the proper way to do it, this summer has turned out some mad summertime prices at a Hi-Fi shop called (Richer Sounds) based here in the UK, there selling the JBL control 1 for ₤49.95 that’s right you get two for ₤49.95, so far I have installed x8, for the surround array, with a further x8 more to go!

If the surrounds don’t give you that real total surround, look for the (JBL 8330) I would say x6 in your home cinema will give motion picture soundtracks true justification!

5. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Producer
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    I am looking at ending up with DD+, Dolby True HD and most important DTS-HD. My current Yahama does not have DTS-ES decoding its a 5.1 reciever. When I was still in California I was using two pair of speakers for each rear channel with decent results. I feel the results would have been better with better quality speakers instead of the $50 pair I was using. I am looking into getting a bigger place and running multiple rear speakers per channel and maybe even dual center channels behind a fixed perferated 120" Stewert Film Screen.

One things is for certain what I can buy and what I would love to buy are two different things [​IMG]

I would love to also purchase a Faroudja Scaler, that would help give me an awsume picture. So my goal is to have a 7.1 system using the new upcoming surround formats. I am going to have to do alot of research before buying a new reciever. I will be looking at Denon, Yamaha, Pioneer Elite and maybe even step it up to something like an Adcom.

6. andySu

andySu Cinematographer

Dave

Centre back surround was an idea that I had around mid 1998, up and till then I haven’t read any articles about this concept of eliminating the disorientation effect that I have heard with most 70mm films with split-surrounds in the past of the later Dolby Digital approach which is basically the same, except for dynamic range of course.

Around 1998, I was about to purchase my first Millennium dts 2:4:6 decoder for £300.00 UK pounds, and I had the idea of using one of my Dolby Pro-Logic decoders the Yamaha DSR-70 Pro for centre back surround, I wasn’t to convinced the idea would work at all, but when I re-plugged the common split-surrounds, and played Goldeneye, 6channls dts sound, I was overwhelmed somewhat surprised by the results.

Goldeneye, dts THX laserdisc sounded far better than before, in fact better with the centre back surround.

I spoke to a Dolby engineer based at the New York offices, a Kris Kristofferson, not the singer and actor, but someone else, he thought the idea was great but was puzzled has to why I would use only 5 loudspeakers placed at the rear?

When HD-DVD picks up and has a secure future within the market, here in the United Kingdom, I will look closely at