A word about Yankee Doodle Dandy

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Robert Harris, Sep 24, 2003.

1. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    Magnificent!

2. StevenFC

StevenFC Second Unit

And???

More please.....

3. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

Great!

4. LeeL

LeeL Stunt Coordinator

Well, good words so far on this one and Robin Hood...

All I need now is the word from Mr Harris on Treasure of the Sierra Madre, and it's a clean sweep on these for next week ...

5. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Excellent news indeed... [​IMG]

6. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    I'm going for the box set since it's only $48 on amazon while they're $57 if purchased separately (plus, the box set has the Warner Bros. documentary).

It's wonderful that not only 3 excellent films are in the box, but also 3 excellent DVD's.

Also, I'm looking forward to having some vintage Looney Tunes on DVD via these 3 sets. Can you believe that between these 3 sets, there are EIGHT bonus cartoons. The 3 films have restored transfers, plus 7 of the eight cartoons are restored versions (Katnip Kollege, on the Robin Hood disc, hasn't been restored yet).

7. Matt Goddard

Matt Goddard Stunt Coordinator

8. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

What reviewers type a thousand words???

:b

9. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

is that a rhetorical question ?

[​IMG]

10. Paul Drake

Paul Drake Stunt Coordinator

I cannot speak highly enough of this film. It is not only my favorite Cagney, but it's also one of my favorite films overall.

As a rule, my motion picture tastes stray far away from musicals, but the music in this film is very relevant even today. Yes, I know the "biography" takes some liberties with the facts (even changing Geo Cohan's birthday by one day to July 4th to make him more All-American), but the acting and great recreations of scenes from various Cohan productions more than make up for this.

I can't wait to pick up this set next Tuesday.

11. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
  12. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    While a single word commentary can be helpful, I highly recommend staying tuned to the words which come from DaViD BoULet, (did I get that right?) as he reviews current DVDs with an eye toward what the readers of HTF are looking for and with the passion of a true lover of film. He will give you the details you need.

As time permits, I'll continue with a word or two where relevant and helpful.

RAH

13. Bill Burns

Bill Burns Supporting Actor

I love Dave's reviews (more thorough DVD reviews you won't find on the internet), but he's the Disney guy, isn't he? Aren't you? [​IMG] Will you be getting/reviewing this WB disc, Dave?

14. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Hey Bill,

Yeah...I'm the Disney guy and am just participating here bcs I'm anticipating this classic as much as everyone else. [​IMG]

We do occasionally swap dvds...but I doubt I'll get this title as I'm sure Herb is looking forward to it too. Herb our warner man is quite the videophile and he's got quite quite the revealing projection system with Martin Logan for sound...so have no fear that he'll tell it to you like it is!

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/files/htfreviewers.html

dave [​IMG]

15. Herb Kane

Herb Kane Screenwriter

16. Bill Burns

Bill Burns Supporting Actor

Oh, I always enjoy and value Herb's reviews, too -- I hope that wasn't unclear (I blanked for a moment on who, in fact, was the WB guy, but of course recalled as I thought back to a few of the recent WB reviews). His comments have helped me out on a couple of titles already (purchasing decisions), and his reviews are excellent.

Sorry to hear you haven't received a copy, Herb [​IMG], but I hope you have a chance to review it (and Treasure, in particular, given the issues some have found with that disc). My copy of the Legends set will be on its way shortly, but a thoughtful review is always of value, even when a purchase has already been made. For those on the fence, of course, all the more so. [​IMG]

17. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

This is indeed, along with "White Heat", my favorite of the classic Cagney movies. I remember getting seriously angry while I was flipping channels one night and saw a colorized version of this film playing on TBS. I remember thinking, "What in the hell does Ted Turner think he is doing!!" and telling my wife who actually liked it that way, that colorization of this movie was cinematic blasphemy. I for one am glad that practice has been buried for the time being.

18. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

19. Aaron Cohen

Aaron Cohen Second Unit

I just bought The Treasure of Sierra Madre today...have I screwed myself? I did not have the money to get all 3 releases and did not know there was a boxset.... Does the boxset include something exclusive? The Treasure of Sierra Madre disc is AMAZING.

20. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Lead Actor
    Supporter

Josh Steinberg

The box set comes with a bonus DVD, with the documentary-retrospective "Here's Looking At You, Warner Brothers!" Also, the box set can be had for cheaper than buying all three individually. If I actually would have seen it in a store today I would have grabbed it - I guess I'll just wait for Amazon to get them in stock (grrr...) and get it from them, as they currently have the best price for it (and free shipping).