A Win for the OAR Good Guys

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael Martin, Dec 27, 2002.

1. Michael Martin

Michael Martin Screenwriter

Thought everyone would appreciate this experience...
    I went to Best Buy yesterday to return a duplicate DVD I had received for Christmas and get some credit. The woman in the returns line next to me was returning a Spider-man DVD, and I overheard her say "This was the fullscreen version, I wanted the widescreen version."
    Woo hoo!
    I turned to her and said, "I LOVE hearing people return fullscreen for widescreen!" She looked a little confused, and said it was her daughter that wanted the widescreen edition. What is very cool about that statement is it was her daughter that wanted widescreen - not her fanboy SON. And, from the woman's age, her daughter had to be fairly young, probably late teens. Gender and age stereotypes for the movie geek BROKEN! [​IMG]
    Perhaps a very small battle in the war, but a win nonetheless!

2. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

Last year, my mom gave my dad Jurassic Park III in P&S for Xmas. [​IMG]
    This year she gave him Attack of the Clones and Spider-Man, both in widescreen. [​IMG]

3. Scott D S

Scott D S Supporting Actor

Scott Saslow

4. Joe McKeown

Joe McKeown Stunt Coordinator

5. Dave H

Dave H Producer

My sister bought me BTTF for Christmas. When it was about to get scanned, she accidently picked up the full screen version. She said the cashier at Sam's Club said to her, "You want the widescreen instead, right?" She didn't even realize she had the fullscreen in her hands. So, she switched it. Good to hear about little things like this.

On the other hand, I recently sold Breakfast Club on Ebay. Before it sold, someone enquired about whether it was full screen. I responded that it was only available in widescreen and clearly explained the benefits and the percentage of picture information that would be lost.

This person's response was, and I quote exactly:

"thank you for theinformation I am new to dvd s Got my first dvd player It is wierd for me to watchit in widescreen hate those black lines on each side uggggh ty again
    have anice holiday"

6. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

Could the "black bars" syndrome be a genetic problem with some people? Or have they or a relative served time in prison? Just asking [​IMG]