A week in London

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ari, Jan 15, 2003.

1. Ari

Ari Stunt Coordinator

I will be spending a week in London in March/April as part of my honeymoon. It's been 8 years since I've last been there so I only have a vague memory of the place...

I need suggestions on good restaurants to check out and day trips to make. Any other recommendations on things to do and sights to see will be welcome as well....I'll be staying near Trafalgar Square. Looking forward to your responses!!!

2. JohnE

JohnE Supporting Actor

Well I was there a couple of years ago and it seemed like I spent all my evening sitting at The Swan, eating the plowman platters and drinking Guinness. But I doubt your new wife would enjoy that as much as I did.[​IMG] I enjoyed the Tate gallery if you like art and The Imperial War Museum was pretty neat. I also took a train up to Oxford for a night, which was great. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend that. Anyway I envy you. I can't wait to go back myself. Oh and congratulations on the marriage.[​IMG]

3. Ron Etaylor

Ron Etaylor Second Unit

Ari if you are a rock music fan at all, you gotta take that walk across Abbey Road. If you're a Beatles fan, you gotta lean down and kiss it. The Crown Jewels are great, stop by Harrods because you'll never look at another store the same way again. I'll second the idea of chillin' in the pub with a pint of Guiness...or more.[​IMG]

4. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

Ari,
    I lived in England for about 3 months a few years, I had a great book that laid out the places to see and where to eat all across London/England. I'm sure many of them are still around and the book was always spot on. If you want to send me your snail mail address I'll mail it to you (wedding gift [​IMG])
    Of course, I need to find the darn book first...
    -J

5. Bhagi Katbamna

Bhagi Katbamna Supporting Actor

Check out(among other things) the Swaminarayan Temple in Neasdon, supposed to be one of the wonders of the world.

6. andrew markworthy

For listings of what's on in London and restaurants, try Time Out which is a listings magazine for London.
    Okay, things that always get recommended:
    National Gallery (for 'classical art' - easily one of the world's top ten art galleries). I think the major exhibition of Titian should still be on. The National Gallery is on Trafalgar Square (are you staying somewhere on The Strand by any chance?).
    Tate Gallery (for modern art). There's also the Tate Modern (for contemporary art), which opened a couple of years ago and is in what used to be Battersea Power Station (it's on the cover of Pink Floyd's 'Animals').
    The Courtauld Institute (for impressionist art).
    The London Eye (a massive ferris wheel type thing that allows you panoramic views over the city - it's right by the Houses of Parliament). This started up in 1999.
    The Tower of London (never seen it, but then I'm a Brit and most of us aren't interested in pageantry and royalty).
    Harrods (if you really *must* - but also try Harvey Nichols - known as 'Harvey Nicks' which is arguably rather more fashionable).
    The West End Theatre. There are always lots of shows on, and as with Broadway, they're booked up a long time in advance, though you can get lucky. Some of the really long-running shows generally have tickets. Incidentally, standards of orchestral playing etc in the musicals are said to be a lot higher in London than on Broadway. If you're into 'serious' theatre, then there is always lots on. Check Time Out or one of our broadsheet papers (The Times, The Independent, The Guardian or The Telegraph) for reviews. the Royal Shakespeare Company has a base in London and generally has something worth seeing.
    Buckingham Palace. This is open for some of the year, but I suspect not when you're here. If it's not open, you're stuck with looking through the railings, usually trying to peer round some oaf with a backpack the size of a house.

7. Agee Bassett

Agee Bassett Supporting Actor

Not to naysay, and andrew can correct me if I misapprehend, but you probably shouldn't expect great food service in London. From what I've heard, British food servers have the reputation of possessing something of an attitude.

8. Ari

Ari Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for all the suggestions and these are all noted. I'm really looking for more suggestions on restaurants to try out. My fiance and I are foodies and are looking for "above average" food at least. The last time I was there, I was with some college buddies and good food wasn't that big a concern. I do remember that it wasn't that good though (I guess our lack of money was a factor).

Also, any recommendations for day trips outside of London??

9. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

10. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

To add to Andrew’s list, any trip to London should include a trip to The British Museum—the plunders of the Empire on display.

And for afters, you can go to the pub across the street and have a glass where (among others) Karl Marx quaffed one or two, after a hard day’s work in the Reading Room

11. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

And a nice day trip would be either to Windsor Castle (St. Georges Chapel is one of the gothic architectural wonders of the world).
    Or (this is probably better in the summer) take a boat up the Thames to Hampton Court. There was a fire there some years ago, but this was the residence of Henry VIII.