A weather page Desktop wanted

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Richard_T, Sep 2, 2004.

1. Richard_T

Richard_T Second Unit

I've seen allot of people post pictures of their desktops here in this forum but one I've always wanted was a desktop satellite picture of the world showing weather patterns and stuff that would keep updating and keeping current. I've always thought it would be neat and seeing as I'm using a
    broadband connection, couldn't I get this type of desktop wallpaper? Would it even be possible to do this?

2. Tekara

Tekara Supporting Actor

Easiest method I can think of would be to use the active desktop and make it point to a weather site like weatherunderground.com

3. Richard_T

Richard_T Second Unit

Please forgive me for my ignorance but can you please tell me how to do this and what I will see on my desktop when I'm finished? Will it stay current without me having to do anything? I'm using XP in case that helps. Thanks![​IMG]

4. Tekara

Tekara Supporting Actor

ah! no problem at all.

"right-click" on your desktop and select "properties" to bring up the display properties window. In this window select the "Desktop" tab. Along the bottom is a button labaled "customize desktop," go ahead and click it. In the new window select the "web" tab. In here you can select a webpage to be your desktop, you can use any website!

For what your asking something like this might work out:
    http://www.weather.com/maps/activity..._animated.html

5. Richard_T

Richard_T Second Unit

Tottaly cool! Just 2 small questions. First, is there any way to have just the map on my desktop and not the whole page and 2 can I get a map of Canada since I'm Canadian eh?

Thank you for your awesome help Rob

6. Tekara

Tekara Supporting Actor

Unfortunately the image that I linked to before uses some javascript to achieve the animation you see (it's a slideshow of different stills). If you found an animated .gif, however, you could make a simple webpage in notepad using the gif and set that as your background.

I found another cool U.S. one, I suupose if your near the border it may be functional:
    http://www.intellicast.com/Local/USN...=none&pid=none

here's one that I think you'll love:
    http://weatheroffice.ec.gc.ca/radar/index_e.html

7. Richard_T

Richard_T Second Unit

You are too awesome dude. I love the Canadian link you sent.
    Now about this "simple website" you spoke of, is there a simple explanation on how to do this or do you think with my obvious lack of pc skills that it may be beyond my ability?

8. Tekara

Tekara Supporting Actor

Nah, I think I can teach ya how to do a little HTML coding.

First thing though, is that the simple page we'll work up is only worth doing if you have an animated gif file (like in my signiture). If the picture is static, this will end up being far less impressive than just setting the static picture as your desktop.

So to start you need to open up notepad (start->all programs->accessories), for basic work this is ideal since notepad doesn't add anything to the file like formatting (MS Word) or excess code (Frontpage). Then in notepad just copy and paste this in:

Now, you see those two quotation marks in the middle there? between them is where you paste in the url of a picture. To find the url of a picture you can simply right click on it and select properties (the url starts with http://). So if we wanted to use the image from the canadion radar our final notepad ewtry wourd be:

(Interestingly enough the image is indeed a gif, but sadly if you paste that link into internet explorer, the image doesn't move. So if you did use this image, nothing would happen on your desktop.)

Then in notepad hit file->save and save the document with a ".htm" at the end, so something like "desktop.htm" or "background.htm". You'll then notice that when you find the file in explorer that it's a web page that you can open up in internet explorer or use as an active desktop. If you use the weather information, you may have to update your page. to do so just open the file back up in notepad.

9. Richard_T

Richard_T Second Unit

Thanks for you help Rob. It works great! The only thing is it doesn't update itself. I know you told me how to do it but wouldn't it be great if it kept itself updated for you? OK pc genius, is it possible? Again, thank you very much for your help dude[​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Tekara

Tekara Supporting Actor

If you made your own file, you could put this in there:

this will make the page "refresh" as though you hit the refresh button in your browser. you can change the time between refreshes by changing the 600, it's in seconds.

If your using the active desktop to set a webpage to your desktop you can hit the "customize" button when you set up the active desktop and set up a schedule to automatically update the page.

11. Richard_T

Richard_T Second Unit

You are a God dude. Thanks so much for all your help! You rule[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. Tekara

Tekara Supporting Actor

heh, glad to lend a hand. [​IMG]