What's new

A WB Box suggestion (Or two) (1 Viewer)

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
The WB boxed sets released within the last year and a half have been astounding. Their popularity with consumers who post here, from critics, and from sales charts I read have been undeniable.

They put such care and smarts into what they do and it shows. No one can touch them in my book..and I'm so grateful for what they've done.

I could list dozens of ideas/suggestions for what I would like to see them do here, but I'm not going to bother. I know this is a studio, likely the only studio, that understands the value of its library and how to effectively market it.

There are lots of old MGM/WB/RKO films I'd love to see on DVD that I know I never will. Their audience is too small to justify the huge expenses that creating a first-class DVD incurs. However, I also know that each month WB will have another surprise in store for all of us...

The year began with a bang with the GANGSTERS set, I'm just loving the COMEDIES set, can't wait for the MUSICALS and DORIS DAY and the CONTROVERSY movies. Then there's James Dean, John Wayne, and although not officially announced, we know that Fred & Ginger, and Val Lewton (and I think the whole Thin Man series) are in the offing.

So I take this opportunity to say to Warner Bros...continue your peerless work...continue to surprise and delight me....While other studios could benefit from taking your lead (and certainly some of them have belatedly tried like Fox with their noirs or Uni with their shabby Marx Bros. set), I know you guys and gals know what you're doing, and for that I thank you and salute you. Go WB!

john mcfadden

Stunt Coordinator
Gotta do it ......
Superman 2 extended SE

Superman the movie Theatrical version 2.0 stereo sound
(im a big fan of the previous dvd , but i'd like this cut as well ):D

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
Gary, The Gable/Harlow and Gable/Loy box sets, would be all mine, if they were released.

A Maisie box set would be awesome too.

And Esther Williams, no doubt (Bathing Beauty, This Time for Keeps, Easy to Wed, Neptune´s Daughter, Million Dollar Mermaid, Easy to Love...).

If we could only have those wishes come true.

Greg_M

Screenwriter
How about a Ken Russell Box Set:

The Devils
The Boy Friend
The Music Lovers
Lisztomania
Altered States

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
Paul Newman box set with Cool Hand Luke:SE, Harper, Somebody Up There Likes Me, Left Handed Gun, The Prize, Drowning Pool, Mackintosh Man, The Young Philadelphians.

Sidney Lumet box set with Network: SE, Dog Day Afternoon SE, Running on Empty: SE Anamrophic Remaster, Garbo Talks, Prince of the City, The Hill, Just Tell Me What You Want, The Offence.

also, catalogue titles:

Hearts of the West
Honeysuckle Rose
So Fine
Arthur - Anamorphic Remaster!
Outlaw Blues
The Pelican Brief - Single Sided Remaster!
Petulia
Men Don't Leave

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
A Natalie Wood Box:

All The Fine Young Cannibals
Cash McCall
The Great Race
Gypsy
Inside Daisy Clover
Penelope
Sex and the Single Girl
Splendor in the Grass

Charles H

Screenwriter
How about a Spencer Tracy box set? Tracy doesn't get much respect on dvd--except for his films with Hepburn and Stanley Kramer. Some of his very best films (EDWARD, MY SON, THE PEOPLE AGAINST O'HARA, and THE ACTRESS--once a candidate in the TCM DVD Verdict) have never made it to any form of home video. His oscar-winning performance in BOY'S TOWN (Mickey Rooney commentary, anyone?) was once listed as forthcoming in the early days in the MGM catalogue (before the rights reverted) in the early days of dvd. (CAPTAINS COURAGEOUS??--another Oscar winner, NORTHWEST PASSAGE, EDISON THE MAN, paird with the Mickey Rooney YOUNG TOM EDISON, PLYMOUTH ADVENTURE, A GUY NAMED JOE, MALAYA??????)

Great news about the McQueen box!!!

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Of the sets already announced or strongly rumored I am most looking forward to:

Thin Man
Bowery Boys
Laurel and Hardy films they own

Eventually (and I realize some of these are pipe dreams) I would like to see WB release sets of

Pre-Code Classics
Powell/Loy Signature Collection (non Thin Man films)
Saint/Falcon series
Monogram Charlie Chan films they own
1930s Perry Mason films
RKO Tarzans
Torchy Blane series
Hildegarde Withers films

Steve

Bob*VV

Auditioning
A revamped "Cavalcade Of MGM Shorts" series of collections; perhaps splitting out the Pete Smith Specialties onto their own box set, as well as some of the other long running series in their own collections.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks