A Way Out of the HDTV Mess

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott E, Mar 14, 2001.

1. Scott E

Scott E Auditioning

2. Howard Williams

Howard Williams Supporting Actor

WOW !!!
    That article is very very........... discouraging. Can someone, anyone, please find something postive here?
    Once again I was seriously thinking about upgrading to HDTV, but stuff like this makes me say "Nope, not yet"

3. Eugene Hsieh

Eugene Hsieh Supporting Actor

Strange article. As far as I'm concerned, HDTV is now coming. I avoided it for the longest time, but the prices of equipment are actually starting to make it into the range of us mere mortals.
    Funny, some authors used to say Dolby Digital 5.1 was useless in the home and it would never take off beyond in movie theatres.
    While the adoption is MUCH slower than many had hoped, I think it's still progressing.
    The problem is that so many people don't know what they're missing. When I got my first CD, people thought I was frivolous. They all now own CDs. When I got my first DVD, they though it was a passing fad. Most of them now own DVD players. When I bought DD 5.1 they said it wasn't worth it. Nearly all of the ones who have bought new receivers in the past 2 years have made DD 5.1 a requirement. HDTV is probably going to be in the same group although I'm not as sure with it as I was with CD/DVD/DD 5.1. S-VHS has died an nasty death (almost) though.
    ------------------