A Warning For Denon Owners Needing Repair Service In NY...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David A. Frattaroli, Sep 25, 2001.

1. David A. Frattaroli

David A. Frattaroli Stunt Coordinator

[​IMG]
    Recently I needed repair service on my Denon 3200 receiver. I got the phone number of EMI Electronics in Flushing NY from the Denon web site.
    On August 30th I brought them the receiver. They charged $25 for an estimate. Well, I picked it up yesterday, the 24th of September because they were unable to even determine what was wrong with the receiver. They claimed that they had to call Denon and get "instructions" from them and that Denon wasn't answering their calls. I called Denon and described my situation. Denon claimed that this problem should have been diagonsed in a matter of days. EMI claims that they can't continue without Denon's help while Denon says that this shop should be able to solve my problem on their own. Needless to say, I picked up my receiver still not knowing what's wrong with it. Of course, EMI refused to return the $25 I gave them for an estimate. I've since reported them to the Better Business Bureau and will now place a complaint with Denon.
    I'm left in the position to bring my receiver to New Jersey to Denon directly.
    So, if any of you fellow Denon Owners in NY need service...
    Stay away from EMI Electronics in Flushing. The address on the Denon website states that they are in Forest Hills. They've had 3 addresses that I know of so go figure.
    Thanks for letting me rant.
    ------------------

2. Michael Lee

Michael Lee Supporting Actor

Sorry to hear that, David.
    I had problems with a 5700 a couple of years ago that were solved quite handily by Denon headquarters in Parsippany, NJ. It was well worth the drive there, in my opinion. They were very knowledgeable and thorough in their work. I believe I dealt with a gentleman named Ishikawa.
    Good luck and I hope things turn out better in NJ.
    ------------------
    Sound InSight Audio Video
    My Home Theater Pics
    My Equipment List
    My DVD Collection
    My LD Collection

3. Matty B

Matty B Stunt Coordinator

David-
    Make sure you call your attorney general as well. It's illegal for them to charge you for factory authorized service. That's like paying for warranty work on your car.

4. David A. Frattaroli

David A. Frattaroli Stunt Coordinator

Michael, do you remeber where in Parsippany? I'm planning to head out to the Pine Brook office tomorrow morning.
    Thanks.
    ------------------

5. Michael Lee

Michael Lee Supporting Actor

David-
    I think that is where I was talking about. It is just before 80 and 280 converge. I think it was on New Street.

6. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    To get to New street, take the GWB to Route 80 west, then you might need to exit onto I-280 before you see the exit for New street, but I'm not entirely sure.. New Street does go by I-280 and also crosses Route 46 right by my bike shop... Mapquest should be able to handle that nicely anyway.
    FWIW, I've dealt with a great shop up in the Ramsey area off of Route 17, called Eastern Stereo. I don't know if they're an authorized Denon dealer but the two times I've used them I've gotten good service and honest work..
    Jay
    ------------------
    HUGBEES! My Equipment List
    Rider in the 2001 Alaska AIDS Vaccine Ride
    Wanna help?

7. Jon Harris

Jon Harris Auditioning

Just an FYI, it is not New Street, it is New Road [​IMG] and this is an exit off I-280 or can be easily accessed from Route 46.
    Jon