A warning about Xbox's Enter the Matrix 1080i HDTV support...

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Josh Q S, Sep 11, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Josh Q S

Josh Q S Stunt Coordinator

It's not really 1080i like a lot of people have been saying. What's actually going on is that the game renders everything at 480 and then passes it through a 1080i signal. I rented this game the other day because of the 1080i support and I was sourly disappointed. It's quite obvious on a decent HDTV that this game is only rendering a 480 lined resolution forced through a 1080i signal (heck, it's going at 60 frames per second, there's no way the Xbox could render THAT high res THAT fast), especially if you've seen REAL 1080i games, like Dragon's Lair 3D or Syberia. In the end, Enter the Matrix looks much better running at 480p. It just really bugs me that they cheaped out on us HDTV owners like that. It's kinda like buying the DVD version of a movie only to find out it's just a transfer of the VHS tape, not the original film [​IMG] [​IMG]

Just thought I'd clear that up since a lot of people have commented on the 1080i in Enter the Matrix being really crappy-lookin.

2. Chris Rock

Chris Rock Supporting Actor

Um, OK.

Looked fine to me.

The gameplay looked better than the cinematics, though.

3. JamesHl

JamesHl Supporting Actor

Actually, I thought it looked pretty good, and I'm fairly sure that it could handle 1080i due to the very stark textures and other effects. Same principle with Dragon's Lair 3d, when you play in 1080i it has to make some sacrifices in other areas to work.

Plus, Dragon's Lair 3d seems to be a pretty universal disappointment, though having never played it myself I have no opinion. I quite like the old arcade game.

4. Josh Q S

Josh Q S Stunt Coordinator

Try turning 1080i off (and 720p, I'm not sure if Enter the Matrix supports this or uses the same dirty trick), and look at the game in 480p; it looks much better. Do the same with Dragon's Lair 3D or Syberia; the games look horrible. Yes, the Xbox is a powerful machine, but there's no way it could run Enter the Matrix at 60 frames per second with THAT much pixel data to render.

99% of games run at (over 300,000 total) 640 x 480

1080i is 1920 x 1080 (over 2,00,000 total) pixels.

There is no way , the Xbox could render over 6 times the amount of pixel data at 60 frames per second. The Xbox is quite a bit more powerful than the PS2 or Gamecube, but not 6 times as powerful.

5. JamesHl

JamesHl Supporting Actor

Well, since it's interlaced it's only 3 times over 480p. And who knows, maybe they could run the game in 1080i- they just don't have the capability to output it. Honestly, I did play in both 480p and 1080i and I thought the 1080i looked better. Higher resolution smooth edges trade off for graphical prettiness in textures and some effects.

As I said, I've also heard that dragon's lair shares the same issue with 1080i- texture and effects tradeoffs to support the higher resolution.

6. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

7. Martin Rendall

Martin Rendall Screenwriter

8. Greg_TSL

Greg_TSL Stunt Coordinator

Yeah, HDTV is a nasty hybrid of digital and analog technology...the vertical lines are discreet digital lines, but the info for the horizontal lines isn't, its like standard analog TV, its maleable and not fixed to a pixel per pixel digital portrayal. It seems a nasty idea compared to fully digital PC displays, but you gotta remember these things have been in development for 20+ years. It also allows for a lot smaller signal when it doesnt have to be concerned with pixel by pixel perfection on the horizontal display.

9. Brian-W

Brian-W Screenwriter

10. Tino

Tino Lead Actor
    Supporter

Valentino
    Looks great on my 65" SONY![​IMG]