What's new

A warning about The Descent - Blue Ray (1 Viewer)

Brian Sheffield

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brian
The Descent in Blue ray does not work in my Samsung BDP-1000, and I've heard it has the same problem in the Sony and Pioneer players.

It apparently uses java coding for the interactive menus that is not supported by these players current firmware. At this point only the PS3 can read this disc.

If anyone knows a workaround or when a firmware update is scheduled please let us know.

Brian Sheffield

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brian
Thanks for the attempt to help, but I updated my firmware yesterday and the zip file itself is still dated 10/13.

I can get the main feature to play, but there are still issues accessing the special features, a newer update will be required for full functionality.

Sony and Pioneer players cant even get the main menu to load.

Dave_P.

Supporting Actor
No problem playing the movie or any of the special features on my Samsung or Panasonic players. The Samsung is definitely slower then the Panny when moving in the menus and the still gallery/cast sliders, but they all work. What issues are you having with the features?

Sony & Pioneer players need a FW upgarde for the Java stuff.

Dave_P.

Supporting Actor

Yes it does, and actually it's enhanced over the Samsung as the flashlight beam in the main menu smoothly moves over to the next choice, whereas the Samsung the beam just jumps over to the next one. There are also no delays in the menu movement. More powerful processor in the Panny?

Brian Sheffield

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brian

Each time I select a special feature the title menu goes dark, and you hear an endlessly repeating cycle of people breathing.

The special feature never loads.

I found a thread on another site that discussed this issue, and I thought people here should be aware of potential problems.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino

Not so fast;). The Descent froze FOUR times while I was watching it on my PS3. Checked 3 other discs with no problems.

Larry Schneider

Second Unit
I finally got the disc, and it played perfectly on my updated Samsung. Not only that, but this is my first BD with the "wow" factor I've enjoyed with the best HD-DVDs.

Bryan Toth

Stunt Coordinator
I don't have the disc anymore (rented from Netflix and just sent it back today) but it played perfectly fine in my Samsung BDP-1000. I will admit I didn't look at all the special features, but the ones I did (deleted scenes, outtakes) came up fine.

Bryan

Dave_P.

Supporting Actor
SONY BDP-S1 1.50 firmware and instructions

This fixes The Descent issue as well as some other stuff. Quick release by Sony :emoji_thumbsup:

From the site:
This utility updates the BDP-S1 firmware to version 1.50 and provides the following benefits:
Improves BD-Java compatibility to enhance interactivity with some BD-ROMs
Enhances playback compatibility with certain BD-ROM format discs
Corrects the output signal status information for audio output and display when Linear PCM 5.1 channel soundtracks are played back via HDMI

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
Yeah, this played fine on my Samsung, too. This disc definately packs that "wow" factor, especially the PCM track. For whatever reason, the PCM tracks on Blu-Ray have been more consistently amazing than the True HD tracks on HD-DVD. While I found the Batman Begins track to be outstanding, I thought the Superman Returns track was lacking something; it was still good, but for whatever reason, I wasn't as impressed by it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks