A Walk in the Sun - Front Row

Discussion in 'DVD' started by alan halvorson, Sep 26, 2001.

1. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

Does anyone own this dvd from Front Row? How is it? It just had it's price reduced. I've owned the Madacy travesty and don't want to repeat that experience.
    A Walk in the Sun is one of the great, but largely unheralded, WWII war movies. It's more of a soldier's film; that is, it's told from a soldier's point of view instead of the normal emphasis on the action.
    ------------------
    They're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!
    They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa To the funny farm. Where life is beautiful all the time and I'll be happy to see those nice young men in their clean white coats and they're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!!!!
    - Napoleon XIV
    [Edited last by alan halvorson on September 26, 2001 at 08:21 AM]

2. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

I would also like to know about this DVD as this is one of my favorite war films.

3. Larry Bevil

Larry Bevil Second Unit

I have the Madacy version and, as you noted, it is not the best quality. I hadn't seen it on Front Row. I've found that the quality of Front Row is pretty good on some titles and pretty bad on some titles. It would be nice if this one is an improvement on the Madacy version. If someone confirms that, I'll probably go for the Front Row version.

4. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

Bringing this thread back up in hopes of getting feedback regarding the dvd.

There's about 5-6 different p.d. companies selling copies of these and I'd like to know which is the best quality version to pick up.

Thanks.

5. Mark Philp

Mark Philp Second Unit

Mark
    I don't have the Front Row version, but I do have it on a 3 movie disk call "Great WWII Movies" released by a Canadian Company called American Home Treasures. As PD films go this one isn't perfect by any means but is better than any other version of it I've seen so far. Also with it is the terrific British submarine movie "We Dive at Dawn" the quality of which is really pretty good having been mastered from a nice 16mm print. The third title is the pro-Russian film "The North Star". The quality is only fair on that one. Seems to me I picked this up for under $4 so just getting "We Dive at Dawn" made it a good buy for me. I'm a sucker for buying multiple versions of PD films always with the hope of getting "the best". Good luck.