What's new

"A Walk in the Sun" - anyone know which DVD version is best? (1 Viewer)

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Several public domain companies offer the fine Word War II film A Walk in the Sun" on DVD. Does anyone know which company offers the best version? Thanks

Mark Philp

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark
I had several versions, and I haven't found one that I would call even close to good. The one copy I kept is "Great W.W.II Movies" and has "Walk", the great British submarine movie "We Dive at Dawn" and "The North Star" "Walk" in my opinion is "watchable". "Dive" is ok, looks like a 16mm print and "Star"sucks. I really kept it for "Dive" which is one of my favorites. So for the five bucks I spent on this it's worth it just to get that movie. I would love to see a beautifully restored version of "A Walk in the Sun" but I'm not sure if the original materials even exist anymore.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It's really a shame that one of the best WWII films does not have a proper presentation on dvd. This film is one of those films that really shaped my interest in film during my childhood, partly because it was one of those rare early war films that kind of personalized the struggle, soldiers had to go through during their war experiences. Also, I think Lewis Milestone is one of the forgotten greats that has been unappreciated by critics and the general public for much too long. He was perhaps the best director when it came to making "War" films. The following is a partial list of his films which include several classic films.
  • The Front Page
  • All Quiet on the Western Front
  • The General Died at Dawn
  • Of Mice and Men
  • Rain
  • The Purple Heart
  • The North Star
  • Edge of Darkness
  • A Walk in the Sun
  • Halls of Montezuma
  • Pork Chop Hill
  • The Red Pony
  • The Strange Love of Martha Ivers
  • They Who Dare
  • Ocean's Eleven
  • Mutiny on the Bounty (1962 Version)

Crawdaddy

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
I'm answering my own question here, but VCI is releasing a restored and uncut DVD of this great war film on August 25th for $14.95. Includes an interview with Norman Lloyd.

Thank You VCI!

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Jay, Thanks for the info. I have the alpha version which i bought many years ago. Pretty bad. I like this movie alot and would love to update. I've bought many vci titles over the years and for the most part have been pleased with the results. I'll keep an eye out for this release.

kingfish

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul Pisano
http://www.amazon.com/WWII-Double-Feature-Jungle-Raiders/dp/B002FY7WSW/ref=pd_nr_d_68?ie=UTF8&s=dvd WWII Double Feature: Jungle Patrol & The Silent Raiders Starring: Kristine Miller, Arthur Franz Director: Joseph M. Newman;Richard Bartlett Rating: NR (Not Rated) Format: DVD
51sIg3XocVL._SL500_AA240_.jpg
===================================== This title is also coming from vci.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks