What's new

A Walk in the Clouds: Quality of DVD? (1 Viewer)

Michael Martin

Screenwriter
Hey all...

Was wondering if anyone owns or has previewed the DVD of A Walk in the Clouds. It's a movie that swept me away despite my reservations, and I'd really like to have it in OAR, if the transfer and sound are of good quality.

Thanks in advance.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
If you are a fan of the film, the DVD release is well worth your time. The extras are of limited value, but the transfer does a good job of presenting the film.

I'd give the video portion of the transfer a solid B+ ( or a slightly generous A-. ) Due at least partly to the way the film is shot, it doesn't have the clarity or depth that I tend to associate with the very best transfers. ( This statement mostly applies to the film's darker scenes. Some of the outdoor scenes, particularly the grape harvest section, look marvelous. ) Additionally, there is some minor pixellation in a few scenes, especially in the foggy early morning scenes with Anthony Quinn and Keanu Reeves.

On the plus side, the print is in good shape. It has been awhile since I viewed this title, but I don't recall any objectionable print flaws. Where the DVD really shines is in its splendid reproduction of the film's wonderful color pallette, as in the aforementioned grape harvest sequence.

IIRC, the audio is DD 2.0 and gets the job done in a utilitarian manner. Nothing remarkable about the sound, but certainly satisfactory given the nature of the material.

I really love this film and can easily recommend the current Fox DVD for fans of this title.

- Walter.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks