What's new

A Video Standard laserdisc (1 Viewer)

Aaron Garman

Second Unit
Hello All. I know it's an oldie, but does the AVS test disc have anything interesting or worthwhile having? I'd like to have a test disc design for LD and whatnot. I have VE on DVD but I guess I'd like to have a LD too. Any opinions? Thanks.

AJ

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
I have a copy of this LD. It is pretty much the same thing as VE. I could be wrong, but I think A Video Standard was the original version and that a second version called Video Essentials was released on LD, followed by the DVD.

The odd title rather than chapter based navigation on the VE dvd is a result of the port over from LD.

The most important difference between VE on dvd and A Video Standard on LD is that the LD came with a largish booklet explaining various technical aspects of
ntsc video, the real meaning of white level, black level, etc. as well as some of the limitations of the ntsc system. It also gets a bit into the history of ntsc, and the differences between ntsc and pal. The booklet also explains exactly what "horizontal lines of resolution" means and why advertising claims for "lines of resolution" are meaningless.

I'd recommend getting the LD if you suspect your ld player needs to have different calibration than your dvd player. If you can find a copy that still has that booklet, it may be worth purchasing for that alone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks