A VGA splitter?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tomoko Noguchi, Jan 20, 2002.

1. Tomoko Noguchi

Tomoko Noguchi Second Unit

I know they make these for computers, but I would like to buy one for my 3 dvd players that all have VGA. My HDTV only has two VGA connections. The problem I see is that the computer splitters seem to be the wrong kind for HDTV. Do you understand what I mean? Where might I find splitters that work with the VGA outputs and inputs on DVD and HDTV?

2. Christian Dolan

Christian Dolan Stunt Coordinator

I think what you need is a VGA D.A., or distribution amplifier. Usually they are designated by how inputs and outputs they have (i.e.: "one in two out"). As far as formats, D.A.'s don't care. They take what they are given, and amplify it.What goes in on a certain pin come out on that same pin on both outputs. At work I once sent composite video down the green line and it worked perfectly.

3. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

If it works OK for 1024 x 768 non-interlaced (XGA) PC video, it will work fine for 1080i HDTV.
    In most cases one DVD player output is not strong enough to feed two TV sets at the same time unless the splitter has amplification. Even if the one output could feed two TV sets, a simple Y-connector probably won't work, it would introduce ghosts.
    Other video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm