What's new

A VERY sobering realization... (1 Viewer)

Kevin L K

Second Unit
On June 1 I purchased a harman/kardon AVR-125 receiver(exchanged an Onkyo 500 for it).I absolutely LOVE the sound of h/k receivers--warm,smooth yet still very detailed.Well,about 3 weeks later the sub-out stopped working so I emailed h/k and they emailed me back 4 hours later stating to either return it to Circuit City or they would replace it but they are back-ordered on that model until at least 7-19-02.I brought it back to CC and they had no more in stock until next week so in the mean time I purchased-dare I say it-a Sony STR-DE885 until they get the h/k's back in stock.

The reason I bought the Sony was because I was intrigued by the bass management: you can set the crossover individually for the front,center & surround in increments of 10Hz from 40Hz to 200Hz,it also allows you to adjust the LFE high-cut frequency from 40Hz to 200Hz in 10Hz increments for the sub out,plus there is a LFE mix setting that you can adjust from -20 to 0dB in 1dB steps,which effects only the LFE channel,not the bass sent to the sub through bass redirection circuitry(this is NOT the trim control).

Now I don't know about you but that sounded pretty comprehensive to me.I must say,the h/k does sound superior to the Sony BUT,my speakers--all of them--integrate SEAMLESSLY with my sub now-It's incredible how different it sounds!

My point in all of this: Why oh why can't manufacturers give the consumer what they want???? Do they have an aversion to selling as many units as possible???? The rason Sony sells so many units? They simply give the consumer what they want--it DOESN'T MATTER if the manufacturer thinks it's silly and adds nothing to the overall sound, " Build it and they will buy ".If consumers wanted a purple colored receiver Sony would make it and sell lots of units--beacuse that's what their market wants.I do realize market presence,advertising and a number of other factors influence a person's buying habits,and I also realize that certain features will always only be available at certain price points but I have seen MUCH more expensive components that have virtually no bass management.I truly think the electronics manufacturers need to wake up and give people the features they want.

I still will always like the h/k sound over the Sony(I do not mean any disrespect towards any Sony owners out there--just my personal opinion),but it was just so sobering to see such a "low-end" receiver have superior bass management to what I had always perceived to be a much "better" receiver.

Tony Lai

Stunt Coordinator
Sony have always had superior bass management.

It's a trickle down effect in the classic sense from their SHARC powered TA-E9000es (from 1998!) - I have yet to see another processor come close to the comprehensive way that Sony handle BM.

Pity they don't sound any good esp. at the QS side of things.

Sony desperately need to bring out either a good QS receiver/ES preamp with all the EX/ES/dpl2 goodies + full analog pass that sounds good and doesn't cheat on the watts.

As much as I don't like Sony, they could really be #1 so easily... it shits me that they aren't already.

T.

Jason Bell

Stunt Coordinator
Maybe the manufacturers dont think enough consumers understand Bass Management and if they set there crossover too low it would cause severe holes in there frequency response especially if they were using bookshelf speakers for mains. This would cause a lot of Technical support problems. This theory wouldnt seem to make sense with the high end stuff. But there are people with lots of money that just by the best and dont even know how to operate it:). That is one thing that I regret about my receiver is its fixed at 80hz. I would really like to try it at around 60Hz to see if it would blend better with my Towers. So I end up turning the sub off for all Music.

Craig_Kg

Supporting Actor
Sony desperately need to bring out either a good QS receiver/ES preamp with all the EX/ES/dpl2 goodies + full analog pass that sounds good and doesn't cheat on the watts.
From all reports that I have seen, the new ES receiver (STR-DA5ES/STR-VA555ES depending on where you are in the world) doesn't cheat on the power specs and has a very good analog bypass and overall sound.

Kevin L K

Second Unit
Hi Jason--that's what I'm saying--you've just proved my point: who is Sony's biggest market and whom do they market to? Not to insult anybody(I've owned a few Sony's in my time)and I'm not referring to their mid-range or high end lines,but they seem to market to the average Joe ;) Now,if Sony can market such comprehensive & sophisticated bass management to the average Joe,and be very successful,then why don't the other manufacturers follow suit?

Mike Veroukis

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael
I think it's just about economics. :) At any specific price point all products will have different trade offs. Some will trade off fancy features for more power or better quality sound. Every manufacturer has their own corner of the market so why chance? If say Yamaha decided to add more fancy features they might need to take away from their amps or increase price. You can't have it all you know! :)
- Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks