A very silly question (re: Fox demo DVD)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul W, Nov 24, 2001.

1. Paul W

Paul W Second Unit

I was un-wrapping the fox demo DVD I acquired from Best Buy (yea for the smartie at best buy who stacked a few at the door for people who remembered at the last minute).
    I had to take off one of the stickers from the top (you know - the stickers that are supposed to stop people from stealing the DVD). Why put one of these stickers on a free DVD? Force of habit?
    Wierd!
    [​IMG]

2. Mike_Ped

Mike_Ped Second Unit

Because there are those out there that would take the time and effort to try and "steal" it...Trust me, I work at Best Buy.

Mike

3. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

The security stickers on DVDs are a major pain in the ass! If we must have them, then just use one not THREE!

4. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

That sticker actually helped me find my copy- I was looking at a display with a ton of "Planet of the Apes" discs and noticed one saying "FOX BEST BUY DEMO" on it. After waiting outside for more than an hour to get in the store, I would've been REAL pissed if I hadn't gotten one of these!

5. Jeff D

Jeff D Supporting Actor

I was a bit shocked by these stickers (I'd guess discussed at length elsewhere). I bought copies of snow white at Target and BB. The target copy had one sticker with the title on it, and shrink wrap with white buena vista logo. The BB package had the security device enclosed stickers and shrink wrap with blue buena vista logos. Both packages had the sticker UPC on the outside and looked the same except for the differences noted above.

I had to call BV just to check about this. Turns out I'm not the only one to call about this difference. BB requests the security stickers be placed on the discs. Maybe other retailers do too, but BB was the one mentioned. The ink color is just because different manufacturers made the discs.

I found it interesting and was glad to hear this wasn't a case of piracy.