What's new

A very shiny flexy rack (1 Viewer)

Cooper_B

Agent
Hi all,
Well I poured probably 40+ hours into my MDF / flexy rack project. I used up almost a whole sheet of 4'x8' MDF, and got 6 x 3'x3/4" threaded rods. To accommodate a future Paradigm CC-370 center channel (wider than 1 shelf), I shortened the front-center rod to terminate 1/4" into the underside of the 2nd shelf (that hole does not go all the way through the shelf, nor does the rear-center rod go all the way through the top shelf). This allows for an unbroken top surface, so the TV and center channel can be all the way forward.
Unfortunately, my server doesn't seem to allow links to pictures, so you have to goto my website to see them.
My Pics
The rack is 44 3/4" wide (24" for each small shelf) and 18" deep, except the top shelf is 20" deep to allow for a ~32" TV. Because of the lack of support in the front/center of the top shelf, I made 2 little blocks of MDF to act as supports between the top 2 shelves. Almost all my supplies were from Home Depot, with the most expensive being the rods (rods totaled nearly $50).
After re-cutting all the boards from home depot, I used a table router on all of the edges. This was a bit difficult with my larger boards, as the pressure I applied affected the cut more than I expected. Then I sanded all the edges with 60 (i think) & 120. This was really hard to get consistent.
I used a Minwax mahogany-colored Gel Stain (2 coats top, 1 coat bottom). That stuff is so sticky! After the first coat of polyurethane, I started sanding with 220. I ended up with 5 coats of polyurethane on all the topsides, and 2 coats on all the undersides. Even the side edges got really smooth after lots of sanding & coating. My only complaint is that the shelves scratch very easily, but you don't notice this much in indirect lighting.
The funny part is that I only have a few audio components for this rack now, but hopefully things will fill up soon when I get a job in Pittsburgh (anyone looking for a web developer :)) I am probably going to get a Samsung 27" hdtv for starters. Anyway, now I have my motivation.
-Cooper
p.s.: thanks to people who post to this forum; I've enjoyed seeing many others' projects. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
Cooper, the pictures are not showing up. And when I copied and pasted the links of the pictures, it said I do not have access. Hmmm...

Cooper_B

Agent
I edited my above post: my server won't let me link to pictures from elsewhere. So just click the link I put in the middle of my post.

-Cooper

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks