A/V Switch

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by ChuckSolo, Jun 27, 2003.

1. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

After my 23 year old Hitachi 20" TV/Monitor that I used in my bedroom died, I bought an APEX 27" stereo TV to take it's place. The APEX was bought at a very good price and the quality of the picture, especially while playing DVDs, is nothing short of fantastic. I have a Zenith DVD/VCR combo unit connected to the APEX and while the DVD performs in an excellent manner, I would like to get better picture performance from the VCR. My problem is, that since the TV, at the price I paid, does not have Component video connections, I am running the DVD through the S-video connection and the VCR through the composite connections. A couple of days ago I visited my local Radio Shack and bought what they advertise as a composite to s-video CONVERTER (they claim that it truly converts the signal from composite to s-video) and a 4 port mechanical A/V switch with s-video and composite connections. When I hooked up the equipment using the s-video converter attached to the composite cable coming from the VCR to the switch and then from the switch's S-video output to the TV's S-video input, I noticed a slight improvement in the picture quality of the VCR, but the DVD picture had a ghost around each image on the screen, i.e., actors heads, cars etc. Since the A/V switch basically allows both the DVD and the VCR to use the same S-video input on the TV, could the problem be in the switch itself, or the so called Radio Shack composite to s-video converter? I know that composite to s-video converters can be bought for $100.00 from Fry's Electronics, but the alleged converter from Radio Shack was only $20.00. Could a more expensive electronic type switch be the answer? The mechanical switch was only $35.00 but I have seen electroic switches list for over $300.00 in which case I could just go get a new TV,which is not in my budget at this time. Thanks for any input.

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer