A/V set-up puzzling to me...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brandon_ND, Oct 23, 2002.

1. Brandon_ND

Brandon_ND Auditioning

I need help. I am about to get all the components of a home theater and have been TRYING to get an understanding of how each is connected to the other. I have looked through many different sites and made posts at many, no one seems to be able to help me un jumble what goes where.
    I need to understand how to connect everything in the CORRECT manner.
    My components are...
    A Panasonic 53WX52 RPTV( multiple s-video in/outs, same for component connections, also has 3 RF connections??)
    A Harman Kardon AVR 225 A/V receiver
    A Panasonic RP-62 DVD player
    A Panasonic S-Vhs VCR
    A Digital cable box.( has S-video out along with rca outs)
    The speakers are not a problem, those i know how to wire(I am using 12 gauge twisted.)

I would like some guidance on which type of cable is best for connecting each also...I.E plan on using a component video cable for the DVD player.

Here is where i am at so far...: /
    The cable jack in the wall...now what?

Thanks
    Brandon

2. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

I will just hit on some of the more obscure idiosyncrasies.
    For the S-VHS VCR, tapes will play best via an S-video connection. But broadcasts tuned in via that VCR might look better with a composite (yellow RCA jack) connection, especially if your TV has a 3D YC comb filter. So you might wnat both S-video and composite coming out of the VCR. Try it both ways. Fortunately, you can connect both of these cables into the same bank of your A/V receiver.
    The three RF connections on your TV allow for such things as antenna and cable box and dish receiver, although the latter two may also have S-video connections.
    For digital cable, like the S-VHS VCR, you want to try both composite and S-video connections. On averate, cable boxes tend to have poor comb filters, so those channels that were analog in an earlier lifetime might come through better via composite, and will come through better via composite if your TV has a 3D YC comb filter. So this unit too may or may not need two video cables going to the A/V reeeiver.
    You may well end up with three video cable sets, composite, S-video, and component, coming out of the A/V receiver and going to three different input banks of the TV. Very few A/V receivers cross connect the composite to the S-video or component. If the receiver did, its composite to S-video cross feed has to compete in quality with the TV comb filter where only your own eyes can choose which is better. Of course you can choose instead to connect everything with S-video getting easier switching although compromised quality.
    If you have only one component video device (the DVD player) you are better off connecting it directly to the TV. You can connect progresive scan, regular component video, and HDTV to your A/V receiver component jacks all at the same time with these restrictions (1) the TV would have to accept all of these via the same input jack cluster, (2) if the receiver didn't have enough video bandwidth the HDTV and perhaps the progressive scan picture would be softened.
    No audio has to go TO the TV. But if you use the TV's RF jacks, you will want audio cables FROM the TV's audio out to a bank of your A/V receiver with no video cables in it, which you will label "TV audio".
    The A/V receiver should have a second set of composite and S-video outputs to record from, you connect these to your VCR video inputs. Some S-VHS VCR's need you to go to the menu to choose between recording from composite input vs. recording from S-video input. If the A/V receiver does not have jacks to go to the VCR inputs, you have to take the VCR and put it between the receiver outputs (composite and S-video) and the TV inputs. Then the VCR's audio output has to go to a bank of the receiver with no video cables labeled "VCR audio".
    Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

3. Steve Adams

Steve Adams Second Unit

just run all components to your receiver, by s vid. then run the recevier to the tv. simple. that is what I have done, works great!

4. Brandon_ND

Brandon_ND Auditioning

Thanks Allan ypu have provided some understanding of how these systems work.
    I am just going to sit down with all the manuals and some diagrams from monster and see if i can map the wiring out.

Brandon

5. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Hi Brandon. Welcome to HTF! [​IMG]
    As you have seen, we have some great people who can get you through this.
    I'd like to offer a few more suggestions:
    - In your rack, put your receiver on the bottom shelf. This will allow all those thick speaker wires to flow out without obscuring the other equipment. Put the CATV box above this. Put the DVD player & VCR on the top shelf's to make it easier to interact with them.
    - Steve gave some great advice: run SVideo from EVERY device to the receiver, then 1 SVideo to the TV. Now the TV becomes a simple on/off device and the receiver becomes the "heart" of the system. This makes the system easy to use. But... you also run component cables straight from the DVD player to the TV. When you want to do critical DVD watching, take the extra step to flip the TV to see the direct-feed. (Yes, you can run both types at the same time).
    Hope this helps.

6. Brandon_ND

Brandon_ND Auditioning

Thnak you for the welcome Bob, i appreciate your input as well. I am waiting for 1 set of speakers, a sub and my center channel speaker and i will be ready to start putting it all together. At that point more questions will follow. It may be a bit, as i have yet to decide on the fronts and the sub :/.
    Thanks again
    Brandon

7. Steve Adams

Steve Adams Second Unit

my receiver has component vid switching as well but my tv doesnt, so that's why i said svids. my new projector will have both. so that will be done then.!