A/V reciever, why do you need "V" ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jedd, Mar 4, 2002.

1. Jedd

Jedd Second Unit

My system (virtually [​IMG] ) consist of DVD player, TV, reciever(probably) and set of speakers.
    1)I do understand why I need "A" in the reciever - to decode 5.1 sound coming from my DVD, but do I need that "V" stuff, if I can connect component output from DVD to TV directly?
    2)If I don't need any "V" could I do the better sound using separates, asuming that I want to spend the same money(around $500)
    3)Does the DVD's 5.1 ready ouput has the same sound quality with that one coming out from the reciever?
    2)Does any dvd player can read dvd-a format or it's something extra I need to look for? Do I need any special requirements from the reciever in this case, or digital connection will be enough to transfer the data? What about SACD?

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

3. Anthony Stephan

Anthony Stephan Stunt Coordinator

True, you can run your video signal directly from your DVD player (or other source) to the inputs on your TV.

You understand that you need the Receiver to decode the DD, dts and other versions of the same from the DVD player.

In many systems, people include a VCR, a DSS receiver, maybe an LD player or various combinations of all. One can easily run out of TV video inputs. Depending on the TV of course and therefore the receiver can handle all inputs and run them to the TV. This also makes it easier to control all the components. For instance, you can have two S-Video sorces and only one on the TV. OR even if you have a good amount of inputs on the TV, the A/V receiver allows you to only have to use one on the TV and thus not have to change the input on the TV every time you want to use another video source.

If you're talking just component outputs (and only one) I would go direct to the component inputs on the TV.

2) You're not going to save money by going to separates. Separates are always more expensive. And all pre/pros have Video switching anyway. You would have to buy an amp as well.

3) Without knowing the make/model of your DVD player, it will be hard to understand what your asking. Does your DVD player decode 5.1 on board? Or does it have a 5.1 output for DVD-A?

4) No only, those DVD players specifically marked for use with DVD-A can decode DVD-A. Same with SACD. And I think that there are only a couple of DVD players on the market that can decode both.

Yes, you also need a receiver that has 5.1 inputs to pass the DVD-A signal. Same for SACD.

4. Jedd

Jedd Second Unit

Sigh, I had a hope to leave behind features like video switching and tuner and invest saved money into something...

5. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Jedd: unlike 20 years ago when "Integrated Amps" were poor quality and audiophiles considered nothing less than a pre/pro system worth listening to, today's receivers are a very good value and great quality. You will NOT save money by trying to skip some features on a receiver.

You can hedge your bets and get a AV receiver with pre-outs. This way you can add external amps later and let the receiver do the pre-processor functions.

6. Jedd

Jedd Second Unit

Thanks for the reply.

Another couple questions:

what is more important for the sound quality - pre/pro unit or amplifier? Which part gives that "warm" or "detailed" stuff to the sound?

Many people say that investing money into the speakers will give much more "sound" then investing into the separates. Why so many people are using pre/pro for their HT systems then?

7. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

The order of priority for good sound seems to be:

- Good speakers & Placement

- Amplification

- Preprocessor

- Room treatments

I'm not into higher-end electronics, but I have not heard anyone try and show that one pre-processor is poor/better than any other. This might be a good question for the receivers/seperates/amps fourm.