A/V Receivers websites

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Charles_Y, Jan 23, 2004.

1. Charles_Y

Charles_Y Stunt Coordinator

Charles W. Yearsley Jr.
    I'm a newbie here to this forum and would simply like to know of some prime websites that perform decent reviews/comparisons of Receivers - A/V Centers and that are FREE and not subject to subscription fees, etc. Magazines, chat rooms/forums (such as this) and manufacturer's websites are quite helpful but I feel something like these are missing.

I have a Yamaha RX-V995 from '96 that is giving out for various reasons and rather than foot the repair bill I'd rather put it toward something new. I like the Yamaha very much but wonder a little about other brands, such as Harman Kardon, Onkyo, Denon and Kenwood.

Any suggested websites or brand referrals are appreciated. Thanks people![​IMG]

2. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    In the past I've used audioreview.com or epinions.com but they don't always have the latest information. Since I discovered this forum I've actually gleaned most information for purchases here. With the other places, unless the user goes into great detail, I tend to take what's written with a grain of salt because I don't know what that person's standards are. On this forum, or over on AVS Forum, you get people who know A LOT, have high standards and are eager to give advice.

My uncle asked me to help him put together a system, so I've been in a shopping mode. Despite my branching out from what I own, it seems I just keep going back to what I have - an Onkyo. I am curious about other brands like Denon or H/K but the Onkyo learning remote is a great great thing. I'd recommend the 501 or 601. Best Price AV has the latter for 399.00 and free shipping; the former at 259 and free shipping.

Sorry, just read your post a little closer. You can check out cheaphometheater.com for some basic recommendations.

Another strategy is to get recommendations from places like this and then do a Google search for reviews.