1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

A/V receiver YAMAHA or ONKYO

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Samir Kripalani, Feb 6, 2002.

1. Samir Kripalani

Samir Kripalani Auditioning

i am setting up a home theatre for the first time and have been doing a little research. i thought i quite liked the Yamaha RX V 800 ,but my dealer suggested the HARMAN Kardon AVR 5000 or the ONKYO 595......need some help. which one to go in for

thanks

2. Robert Franklin

Robert Franklin Stunt Coordinator

I would choose the HK or the Yamaha. I bought an Onkyo, and I had a major problem with it. I did send a letter to Japan and faxed a copy to the headquarters in NJ, and the person who was in charge of the NJ site did respond immediately to address my concerns with my unit. He told me to give hime the number of the service store where I went to take the unit to get fixed, and he made the owner of the store fix my unit at no cost to me. The problem with this scenario is that it took almost a month to get the unit fixed, and needless to say, I was not thrilled about that. By the way, I had bought the top-of-the-line for that year. It was the last receiver that didn't have a dts decoder built into the unit. The model number is: Onkyo TX-DS 939. It is a good receiver, I just didn't like all of what I had to go through to get service on my unit. So, that is another fact that one should consider before purchasing a inexpensive or expensive unit; what are the service centers that are associated with that brand, and what type of local service can you get from the business that provides this service.
    Good hunting, but I will tell you that I am purchasing the new Denon Avr5803.
    [​IMG]

3. Eric_M

Eric_M Stunt Coordinator

Woah interesting choice of fonts.

Anyway, the 595 is no more. You may be able to find one still though.

Both the Yamaha and the Onkyo are coming out with new models

4. SamC

SamC Agent

I have the RX-V795a, which was the 800s predecessor I believe, and have been stoked with it since day 1. It was my first venture into HT, and has done everything I ever needed (although the remote doesn't have ALL the codes I want in it).

It is a fantastic entry level receiver with power to burn in a basic system.

One word of warning: (actually 3, but anyway...)

1. Don't get anything just 'cos the dealer recommends it. Go with what you like.

2. As you are building a system from scratch, try to audition the receiver WITH the speakers. I would not have bought the Yamaha with something like B&W or MK speakers, as it sounded too "harsh." For the Polk Audio speakers I got, it is great.

3. Don't get sucked in with the number of "DSP sound fields." I have never used any but Dolby Digital & Pro Logic - the defaults. (Of course I turn all effects off for music listening, the Church and Hall programs make music sound terrible!)

5. Samir Kripalani

Samir Kripalani Auditioning

thanks for the help guys....really appreciate it . will go looking for other Yamaha amps .

samir kripalani