A/V Receiver connections for stereo music applications

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John_Kiger, Mar 4, 2002.

1. John_Kiger

John_Kiger Agent

I'm shopping for a reasonably good A/V Receiver with the idea that it may replace my existing music stereo receiver. I now have two 8 ohm bookshelf speakers connected to it. My question is, what speakers will the A/V receiver use when I play stereo apps, such as a CD changer, through the new A/V Receiver? Will it use the sub designated for surround sound? Or would I have to have a separate purpose sub wired with the two stereo speakers? Could a sub be safely connected both ways? Does that depend on which receiver I wind up getting? The stereo music bit is still important to me. My budget for this piece is < $600. Wife only okayed DVD player so I can't go nuts just yet. Thanks!

John

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Every receiver should have a 2-channel mode for those who want their 2-channel sources pure unadulterated. Some have a "direct" or "passthrough" mode that skips all processing, including the crossover that filter off low frequencies for the subwoofer.

You'll need to take a close look at specific models and learn how they handle various situations. But what you're looking for shouldn't be hard to find.

M.

3. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

4. John_Kiger

John_Kiger Agent

Thank you, I'll search with those things in mind. This is a great forum you have created.

John

5. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Regarding the subwoofer, there are two ways you can connect a sub into a HT receiver. You can either (1) connect the subwoofer via the line level subwoofer pre-amp output on the receiver and connect your bookshelf speakers directly to the speaker level outputs of the receiver, or (2) connect the L/R main speaker outputs from the receiver to the speaker level inputs of the subwoofer, and then connect the speaker outputs of the sub to the two bookshelf speakers.

In situation #1, your receiver will perform the crossover from the sub to the L/R speakers. In situation #2, the subwoofer's internal crossover is used. If you select a receiver with a crossover frequency that mates well with the frequency response of your speakers, situation #1 is the simplest way to connect everything.

Some receivers now offer an adjustable crossover frequency to allow for better matching of speakers, subs and crossovers.