A/V Receiver Challenge

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jack DeWees, Mar 14, 2002.

1. Jack DeWees

Jack DeWees Auditioning

Here we go. I've been looking at these three models for the home theater. If someone who has seen / heard / tested out these models, would love to hear what you have to say about these...

Onkyo TX-DS797

JVC RX-DP9 and DP10

Pioneer Elite VSX-36TX and 37TX

Thanks,

2. Alex Prosak

Alex Prosak Supporting Actor

The Onkyo is an excellent piece of equipment. I've listened to the Pioneer Elite's too but I know they've had a lot of problems and a big recall on their lower end Elite's so I'd stay away from them. I believe the lower end Elite units sacrifice quality for features.

3. Steven Hallett

i have onkyo 898 ,,it rocks 7.1 and thx

4. Harry Lincoln

Harry Lincoln Stunt Coordinator

Im not farmiliar with those three but isnt the Denon 3802 in the same price bracket? If so it might be worth a look.

Harry.

5. Mark Hobbs

Mark Hobbs Stunt Coordinator

If I were looking for a receiver in that price range, it would be a choice between the Denon 3802 and the Onkyo for me.

6. Frank Zimkas

Frank Zimkas Supporting Actor

I upgraded from a Yamaha to the Pioneer Elite VSX-37TX and I'm very happy with its performance. If you do decide on this unit you will need a seperate amp to power your rear speakers. I went with the Pioneer Elite M-10X and the results are mind-numbing. Buying a new receiver and an amp just for the rear speakers may be expensive but you'll forget about the cost after you've watched a few of your favorite movies. The receiver has a very simple onscreen set-up menu and excellant bass management. You've probably already figured out that it is also a THX-Ultra receiver.

7. Chris Carswell

Chris Carswell Supporting Actor

Go with the Denon or Pioneer. Denon might have a better procesor, little smoother sound but the pioneer = more features..... and cheaper.....
    I went with the pioneer b/c I got a hell of a deal on a demo(& I still get the 2 year warr [​IMG]
    any on you will like. If you got the $$$ go with a B&K. That bitc* sounded soooo go but I couldn't afford it, well I could but alimony is a real mofo.
    Let us know what you got and how you like it [​IMG]

8. Daren Welsh

Daren Welsh Supporting Actor

I've got the Pioneer Elite VSX-35TX. That recall was because of some sets randomly powering off. Mine was already fixed, as indicated by a small white dot sticker on the back. Even still, it's got the manufacturer's warranty. I imagine that most sets have already been taken care of. I haven't had any problems (/me knocks on wood just in case). I may be selling out to marketing, but I figured if it's good enough to get a THX marking, it should be good enough for me [​IMG]