A/V receiver and DVD player choice time.

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Guy S, Apr 26, 2004.

1. Guy S

Guy S Auditioning

I’ve been collecting the gear for my HT set-up

So far

Projector

BenQ 6100 + ceiling mount kit

DVD player.

I bought an Onkyo DV-SP300,"onkyo-intl.com/products/av_components/dvd_players/dv-sp300/index.html" (Add www to the urls and they will work.) only to find that progressive scan only worked on NTSC. Seemed like a solid machine and turned out a nice picture. The remote was good too.
    It cost AUS$229 and I returned it due to the lack of PAL progressive scan.

Bought a Trio Dx 628 DVD "triocorp.com.au/DX-628.aspx", mainly for the VGA output to go into the BenQ
    cost AUS$249.

The remote seems to be a piece of rubbish, the player was glitching on some DVDs that my 2 year old JVC has no problems with and considering the comments here "forums.eyo.com.au/showthread.php?t=39428&page=1" I will give it a hammering before I decide whether it will go back as well.

Any suggestions as to a DVD player that has a VGA connection that works well in the up to AUS$300 price range?

Speakers

QS 5.1 CH. SUB SATELLITE SPEAKER PACK SAVE835ED
    "sony.com.au/homecinema/catalog/product.jsp?categoryId=22055#MID1.jsp?textview=fal se&productId=SAVE835ED&categoryId=22055,LHS1.jsp?textview=false&productId=SAVE835ED,MENUITEM103"

AV Receiver.

I have looked at AV receivers like.

Sony DD/DTS,120Wx5 - BLACK STRDE695B
    "sony.com.au/homecinema/catalog/product.jsp?categoryId=22050#MID1.jsp?textview=fal se&productId=STRDE695B&categoryId=22050,LHS1.jsp?textview=false&productId=STRDE695B,MENUITEM6"

Yamaha RX-540 6.1-channel receiver

"yamahamusic.com.au/products/p_avit/home_theatre_av/page3_RXV540.asp"

and

Onkyo TX-SR501
    "onkyo-intl.com/products/av_components/av_receivers/tx-sr501/index.html"

The area to be filled with sound is about 6m * 5m * 2.5m.

I will not be swapping between vid sources (DVD will be the only source in the forseeable future and that will be a straight DVD to BenQ connection) so really dont need a lot of vid switching capacity.

I was looking to spend about AUS$5000 in total on the whole HT set-up.

With what I have purchased so far I have about AUS$1800 left.

Leaving AUS$800 for wire, connectors etc, I’ve got about AUS$1000 to play with.

Anyone got any recommendations as between or in addition to these receivers?

2. BarOr

BarOr Stunt Coordinator

In addition you can check this site for Marantz refurbish produces: (sr6300,sr 7300 and more)
    accessories4less.com

3. cabreau

cabreau Second Unit

I've heard that the Samsung HD931 scales DVD movies up to 1080i. I know it uses DVI, not sure if it also has component/VGA outs or not, or at least if it sends the 1080i signal out the component outs.

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Tried the 931, was not impressed. It has component out as well as DVI, but faroudja DCDi is only available via DVI.

DEFINITELY skip the Sony receiver. Onkyo now has the 502 out, if you are looking for the latest, but that also means the 501 should be on clearance - and a much better choice than that Sony.