A/V Receiver Advice

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Tony K, Feb 15, 2004.

1. Tony K

Tony K Auditioning

Hello. I am new to this forum, I discovered it last night while doing some on-line research.

I am setting up a home theater from scratch and I am looking to start with a good receiver and decent speakers. I have about $2000 to spend on the receiver & speakers and I want to get the most value for my money. I think that I want a 7.1 system just because I plan on keeping it for a while and I thought I should get the latest & greatest.

I will probably be using the receiver 80% for video and 20% for music. The room it will be set up in is a 14ft x 20ft room in a finished basement with a carpeted floor.

I went to an audio shop last week and talked to a pretty knowledgeable guy who sold Marantz, Harmon Kardon, and B&K. He suggested the Marantz SR5400 ($600) or SR7400 ($1000) and Paradigm Performance series speakers. The total came to about $2250.

Next I went to a local electronics chain store that is having a big sale. I talked to a kid there who suggested the Yamaha RX-V2400 with Polk Audio speakers - the total was about $2150.

Which of these (if either) is the best deal? Should I keep looking? Is it a good idea to buy on-line, or should you buy from a dealer?

Thanks

2. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

The marantz receivers are nice but they seem to lack that extra depth that some of the other receivers out there offer.

Speakers....if it were me I would take the Paradigm over the Polk audio speakers.

Keep looking...and don't buy something just because some guy at an audio store told you to. Do some research on the net read some of the following sites for great info:

Hometheaterforum
    www.ecoustics.com
    www.audioreview.com
    www.audiorevolution.com

3. Tony K

Tony K Auditioning

Chad,

Thanks for the reply.

Is it generally okay to buy components on-line, or do most people prefer to buy from a brick & mortar dealer? Are the on-line sites generally authorized dealers? The Marantz web site had a warning about voiding your warranty unless you bought from an authorized dealer.

Tony

4. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Tony,

There are some concerns that are valid when purchasing gear from Internet vendors. Marantz and Denon (owned by the same company) seem to be very picky about servicing their gear if it was purchased from a vendor who was not authorized. You will also see other receivers where it doesn't matter where they were purchased from - and the mfgr. will service them.

I've had very good luck with my on-line purchases. There are lots of great Internet vendors who feature some great products at great prices.

Finally, see if your local dealer will come down a bit on the prices. Everything is negotiable and it will not hurt to ask if they'll give you a discount. On $2,100 worth of gear, this should not be too hard to do. Now, if you were going to purchase a $300 receiver and expected them to come down $100, I'd think they might not go for that.

Best of luck to you - sounds like you are putting together a nice package. [​IMG]

5. Greg_sford

Greg_sford Agent

Greg
    Tony, I'm researching too. Haven't looked at Marantz, but for the Yamaha you can probably go for the 1400 without losing much, and save a couple hundred bucks (which from the sense I get hear, you should put into a better sub)!

6. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Producer
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    Yamaha makes recievers with good bang for the buck and good sound quality. Between the brands you have mentioned I would go with the Yamaha/Paradigm combo. IMHO the Yamaha is better for movies and sound good with music as well. I own a Yamaha RX-V995 that is hooked up to Altec Voice Of The Theater that use a hf horn and dual 15's and a center channel and two pair of two ways for the two rear channels. I have no problem powering everything with this reciever. I would suggest taking your favorite movies and music to a store and listen to different brands. Write down the features you need and what you might need in the future. This may help refine your search and help you end up with whats best for you. I would recomend looking at Yamaha and Denon. Denon will have the AVR-3805 for around $1200 in March you can now find the data on there website. There is Sony but I personally find there amp section to be lacking. You also might want to look at Pioneer Elite?

Pioneer Elite VSX-41 $800 - 110 watts/ch x 6, MCACC auto feature, DD and DTS but am not sure if DTS-ES is matrix only?, THX Select processing, 8 channel analog in, 40 MHz Component Video.

Pioneer Elite VSX-53tx $1500 - 100 watts/ch x 7 (DD 5.1, DD 6.1, Prologic ll, DTS 5.1 and 6.1, DTS Neo, THX Select processing, MCACC auto accustic set up, 40 MHz Component Video, 8 channel analog input.

Denon AVR-2803 $800 - 90 watts/ch x 7, DD, DD-EX, DTS, DTS-ES, 7ch stereo, prologic ll, 100 MHz component Video switching.

Denon AVR-3805 $1200 - 110 watts/ch x 7, Auto room set up, Dolby Digital EX, Dolby Pro Logic II, DTS-ES Discrete 6.1, DTS Neo:6 and DTS 96/24, Denon Link, Assignable digital inputs, component video, internal amps when using external amps. 100 MHz Component Video, rf remote. This has everything except an multi channel analog input, 3 zone, video up conversion.

Yamaha RX-V2400 $999 - 120 watts/ch x 7, Dolby Digital EX, Dolby Pro Logic II, DTS-ES Discrete 6.1, DTS Neo:6 and DTS 96/24, THX Select processing, video up conversion, parametric room acustic analizer, 60 MHz Component Video.

Yamaha RX-V3300 $1499 130W x 6 + 25W x 2, Dolby Digital EX, Dolby Pro Logic II, DTS-ES Discrete 6.1, DTS Neo:6 and DTS 96/24, THX Select processing.

IMHO the Denon 3805 and the Yamaha 2400 are both great deals. If you you like the 2400 I would say go for it but listen to at least a few models first and get all the info on what it will and will not do compaired to others.

Good Luck Tony

7. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

Tony:

Welcome to HTF. [​IMG]

Keep this in mind: AVRs of similar specification perform similarly. It's more important to compare features, and base your decision on the presence of the feature set you will need. There are not overwhelming differences between AVRs of similar specs by h/k or Onkyo or Denon or Marantz, although you will find much argument to the contrary.

Other factors, such as speakers and your listening space, are orders of magnitude more influential than the make of your AVR.

8. MuneebM

MuneebM Supporting Actor

Go with the Yamaha RX-V2400, its an awesome receiver. Just make sure you buy it from authorized Yamaha reseller or you won't get the 2-year manufacturer's warranty. See here: http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/dealer.htm

9. prashanth_sharma

a lot of people on this forum will vouch for the Ascend Acoustics pkg. with the HSU sub.

they also have pkgs with HK receivers. for $2000 u should be able to get a veery nice setup from them, I've had their 5.1 system for 2.5 yrs and very satisfied with it.

10. Tony K

Tony K Auditioning

Wow! Thank you all very much for all the great information.

I really appreciate the insights that you have shared. Until now I was a Best Buy kind of electronics shopper - I didn't realize that there was so much good equipment out there. I have held off for now and will continue my research.

Can anyone recommend an on-line store that had good service and prices?

Thank you!

11. DarrylR

DarrylR Auditioning

I'm new to this process also. Are these recommendations 7.1 receivers? I thought Tony was trying to do a 7.1 setup. Doesn't he need a 7.1 receiver?