A/V Rack Placement - Dude, Where's Your DVD Player?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Jack Ferry, Jan 3, 2004.

1. Jack Ferry

Jack Ferry Stunt Coordinator

Jack Ferry
    I'm still in the framing stage of construction of my basement home theater. One area I just can't get a hold on is where to place the equipment rack.

Here's the stats: The room is 18'3" from screen to back wall, 13'4" wide, and the ceiling is 7'2". The screen is not at the wall - there is another six feet from the screen to the wall behind it. This area behind the stage is sort of a compromise due to a fireplace positioned at an angle in one corner. I figure that by using a black curtain behind the screen, I'll have a dark background that will disappear during viewing, but I can still see the fireplace (if I choose to do so) by moving the screen and the curtain.

My choices on where to place equipment would seem to be:
    (1) behind the stage, possibly using some type of remote sensor pickup (I know very little about these);
    (2) on the stage;
    (3) on shelves in the back wall;
    (4) somewhere along the side walls.

My plan for the side walls is several small columns, framing out areas between them for posters and electric baseboard heaters.

I know it's hard to visualize this from my description, but I guess I'm looking for various solutions others have used when placing equipment.

Oh, I also left out that this will be front projection, with (probably) an Infocus X1 either ceiling mounted or on a shelf on the back wall.

Thanks!!

2. Glenise

Glenise Supporting Actor

My equipment rack in on the side rear wall.
    I couldn't put it on the back wall because a window is there.
    Initially, I had the equipment rack on the mid side wall.
    I had someone move it because I didn't want the equipment to distract anyone while watching a movie.
    It would bother me to see red lights and other stuff while the room is dark.

3. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

I placed my racks in the front (see my HT pics for details) and when the screen is in the "down" position the bottom two shelves on each side are visible (not covered by the screen). Accordingly I have the following on the bottom two shelves of each rack:

Left Side: Denon 2900 DVD player with Lexicon MC-8 pre/pro controller below it.

Right Side: Panasonic RP-91 DVD Player with Pioneer LD player below it.

This accomplishes the following:
    • While viewing movies I can see the display on the Lexicon to monitor processing, etc. (or turn the display off if I wish - it really doesn't come into the picture - no pun intended)
    • All three players are accessible to change DVDs and or LDs without the need to raise the screen.
    Works like a charm and was the best fit for my HT space requirements. Others with different configurations might want or prefer a different arrangement.

4. Jack Ferry

Jack Ferry
    I think I am going to try putting the A/V equipment on the back wall. I think a side wall would probably be best, but I think my side wall space is too limited.

I'll let you know how it works out. If it doesn't work, then at least I'll have shelves and electric on the wall.

Thanks for the input!!

5. Derek_P

Derek_P Stunt Coordinator

I just started my equipment rack.... i dunno how much help it maybe but... but check out my website...

check out jan.4.2004 section

6. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Jack your room sounds exactly like mine with the screen pulled out and the black cloth false wall. I have my gear rack on the right hand side recessed into the wall. The only thing you have to then worry about is the angle at which your remote hits the gear. Some devices seem to have a very wide receiving lens while others (sony) is much more narrow. For me that just means i have to keep my jukebox on the right hand side which isn't a problem.

7. Domonic A

Domonic A Stunt Coordinator

Domonic Ableidinger
    I have opted top put mine on a side wall behind the seating area. It is built into the storage closet area. I wanted to be able to get behind the equipment to connect cables and stuff easier. So all I will have to do is walk into my strage closet, open the back panel of the rack and everything is right there.

Good Luck

8. Jack Ferry

Jack Ferry
    I really like the idea of back access to the gear, but I'm not sure how I could do it in my set up. But, like most posts in this forum, it does give me more to think about!

9. MikeWh

MikeWh Second Unit

Jack,

While remodelling my HT to move from RPTV to FP, I originally planned on keeping my components up front, where I could hit them with an I-R remote. It worked well in my original HT, because all the components were well hidden. You can see this still on my www site, the components are all hidden behind doors which are covered in speaker cloth.

As I was moving along on my FP remodel, I realized that standard DVI cables have a limit of 5m (about 16 feet). I realize that some people have had success with longer (and more expensive) DVI cables, but it caused me to rethink my component placement. All along, I was planning on hiding my components in one of the front columns that you can see in this picture (with the sconces on top... again, with a door covered in black grille cloth or possibly a GOM fabric). Since I have three columns on either side, I just decided to pull the rack back into the column closest to the pj (in back), where a 5m cable can reach the components. It actually solves a couple other things for me, so it's actually going to work out better. I'll just get a repeater for the I-R issue....

10. Jack Ferry

Jack Ferry
    Thanks Mike. Cool mock up. By the way, do you think my wife will mind if I tear out most of the main floor so I can add cathedral ceilings in my basement?

11. MikeWh

MikeWh Second Unit

Heh heh... I didn't even realize what that could look like without anything in there for scale. The picture is actually for a walk-up attic. Your wife would probably be pi$$ed if you lowered the left and right sides of the theater to about 4 feet. [​IMG]

This configuration has actually been a real pain to design around.... The biggest problem is that the screen width is totally limited by the sloped walls and the height of placement on the back wall. I'd prefer it up higher than it is, especially with having a second row of seats on a riser. Oh well.