A/V Preamp Question

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by TonyKulie, Dec 18, 2004.

1. TonyKulie

TonyKulie Auditioning

I had originally sold a Carver 705x amp and planned to purchase a Pioneer 1014 after reading so many great reviews. The reason for the upgrade was to save a little money and get some newer processing and more video I/O options.

Well, it looks like I will be getting my old Carver back. UPS seems to have had their way with it. Apparently there are a few channels that do not presently work and the rack ears have slight bends in them. Anyone with repair suggestions feel free to let me know. As of now I am planning to send it to sunfire to get it back to working condition. Which brings me to my question...

What preamps should I be looking at with A/V options similar to the newer AVR's? I had also thought about just purchasing the Pioneer and using it as a preamp but that seems like a waste of money and space. I do like how the Carver amp sounds so as longs as I'm putting money into it, I might as well use it. I'm looking to spend $500 new or used.
    Thanks in advance,
    tony

2. TonyKulie

TonyKulie Auditioning

After much searching and reading it seems that my best option would be to get the 1014 and just use it as a pre amp.

If I use the pre outs on the 1014 would I be able to use the 1014's amps for other zones?

3. joseFMJ

joseFMJ Stunt Coordinator

Yeah. you can use the main 5 channels for one zone and the 2 rear surround channels for another zone. You will of course have to manually switch things around inside the speaker setup menu.