A/V jargon

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BrendanW, Jan 29, 2002.

1. BrendanW

BrendanW Extra

Is there a site that gives good explanations as to what many of these terms mean? For example I know what DTS is...kind of, but I would like a better explanation of what it is, and how it differs from other formats. Or many the differences between s-video, and coaxial digital? Anyway, I am new at this, and eager to learn. Thank you for responses.

2. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter

Have you tried using the Search feature on this site? Usually many of these things have already been addressed here, so the answers aren't too far away.
    Edit to add: I also found this site, Home Theater basics, on a quick Yahoo search. It looks a little outdated but it might be helpful.
    Edit again: There's also a lot of stuff at About.com

3. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

hi brendan - welcome to htf!

i also suggest you subscribe to some a/v magazines. soundandvision is pretty cheap...i think it's like 15 bucks a year. they do a really good job of explaining technology in laymans terms. their reviews are a little "heavy handed" but that's okay.

stereophile guide to hometheater is another good one.

also, like bill said...the search function is invaluable. do a search on dts...you'll be scared at how many results you'll get! you might want to tighten your search parameter some: include "explain" or "define" or something like that in your search.

4. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Or you could just post a series of questions here in the new person area. It might help serve as good introduction for other people in similar situations.
    So, for example, DTS:
    DTS is an audio encoding format originally designed to carry 6 channels of audio. The format is very similar to dolby digital (in that it carries 6 channels)- but the original version of DTS took up about 5 times as much data space.
    The idea was less compression (less digital compression of the data)would mean better sound quality. Kinda like the difference between a 128k MP3 and a 256k MP3.
    DTS later came out with a lite version which, while still larger that DD, is half the size in data as DTS in theaters is... this allows it to better fit on the finite space of DVD.
    I would strongly recommend this essay, written by HTF mod Adam Barratt:
    http://home.clear.net.nz/pages/adbarr/page1.html
    It is a home run of info on audio formats.
    -Vince

5. Mike___Walker

I checked ebay for magazine subscription packages for home theatre, and found a great deal if the magazine is good (I suspect it is, and I'm going to subscribe [​IMG] ). 30 issues for $11. Anyway, check out the link- Stereophile's Guide to Home Theater
    It's a great deal if I ever saw one. This seems like a good link for the deals section...

6. Jed M

Jed M Cinematographer

I would also suggest to go to www.bestdealmagazines.com and they have 3.95 year subscriptions to sound and vision, audio video interiors, guide to home theater and many other magazines of all types like ESPN. I subscribed to sound and vision through them. For four bucks, I can't complain much.

7. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer