1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

A/V Interiors Criteria...

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Keith M., Sep 2, 2003.

1. Keith M.

Keith M. Second Unit

Anyone know if there is some unspoken set of requirements for a home theater system to be profiled in A/V interiors magazine??

Just curious...

Seems like all the theaters are in million dollar homes...

2. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

Yes,
    It would be nice to feature say 5,000 and under system. Then maybe have a Over 5,000+ to 10/15,000 system.
    There are alot of people in this forum that have nice setups that maybe fall in the 5,000+ systems.

3. Keith M.

Keith M. Second Unit

I like HTB magazine, but wish they would profile more of the DIYer HTs...

They are just as good if not better sometimes...[​IMG]

And they mean more to the individual who put their heart and soul into creating them. Rather than simply writing a check...

I am almost done with mine, well, you know what I mean...[​IMG] I will be posting pix in the near future...

I love looking at others HT acheivements but wish there was detailed info on each of them... HTB should have an annual special issue devoted to our theaters...

4. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

Keith I agree....I guess one thing is though some people have more time/money to put into there systems. I have seen some nice setups that were DIY setups.....where people are not paying other people to do it all but doing most if not all of the room by themselves or help from others.

5. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

From my perspective I don't want to see the more "basic" rooms. I want to see the big guns so I can dream. That said I don't think AVI has any specific criteria as they've shown a wide range of theaters. What I find interesting is how many of them are more oriented to looking slick with the lights on vs. off.

6. Keith M.

Keith M. Second Unit

BTW, just received latest issue of A/V interiors...

They changed the layout design/format. I personally think they have cheapened the look/flow of the magazine. It reminds me of some of the imported mags with blurbs of info just slapped here and there. Very hard to read and follow. Simply amatuer!! [​IMG]

This has definetly made me realize its time to let this subscription run out...

7. scott>sau

scott>sau Stunt Coordinator

HTMag did the same, but AVI sometimes doesn't get the big boy photo shoots every month. Next month will probably be fantastic.
    I would subjectively say several factors go into the AVI editor choosing a theater. Cost in labor, cost in equipment, innovation in planning and design, something new to the industry, etc. Steve Jenkins a member of AVS forum has his theater in last months AVI. I know they come to forums and review web sites with photos of theaters for possible articles.
    The best way to know is to contact Katy, the editor of AVI to receive their guidelines.

Katy Koppenhaver
    Audio Video Interiors
    774 S. Placentia Ave.
    Placentia, CA 92870
    (714) 939-2677

8. Todd_Brown

Todd_Brown Second Unit

9. Shane S.

Shane S. Stunt Coordinator

Aahh A/V Interiors the magazine that gives me a new reason to openly weep almost every month....

I'm with the people that said they like seeing the all-out theaters. Its nice to see the different ideasand to see what people will do when money isn't an object. Steve Jenkins theater is awesome. I really can't decide why I hate him more, his theater or his car collection.[​IMG] (don't tell him its me sending the hate mail [​IMG])
    Of course I always do like when S and V mag does there "price range setups". You know, if you have 1k to spend by this, if you have 5k get this.... So maybe including a DIY everyday person article would be nice.

Keith, I feel the same way about AVI's new setup, Even my wife who doesn't read the mag commented on it after her short walk from the mailbox to me.

Shane

P.S.
    While we are talking mags does anyone know if Home Theater Interiors (I think it was quarterly) is still around? Haven't seen it anywhere.

10. scott>sau

11. Billy Posey

Billy Posey Second Unit

I would to see both. I like seeing seeing the amazing expensive theaters(Except the super enormously big and opulent ones that looks like a emperor's palace. They might as well just buy and actual movie theater. In my opinion there's a different style and feel between movie theater's and home movie theaters)showing what possibilities are there. I also like seeing the diyer's theaters. They inspire ideas and help out with hurdles that come along. My biggest wish would be for a magazine that articles with all your theater projects in them. One of my favorite things to do on this forum, is to view the many projects here. It would be nice to read without having to sit at the computers for hours. Once I get to viewing I have to look at more and more, and that can lead to a stiff neck. Hopefully with in the next few months I will be posting some pics of my own,(although Im not sure how to do that yet.)

12. Keith M.

Keith M. Second Unit

What do you all think of the new A/V Interiors format?

As Ive stated earlier, I think its aweful...

13. Gary Shipley

Gary Shipley Second Unit

I have to agree with you Keith. I've subscribed to A/V Interiors for about 3 years and I'm REALLY disappointed with the new fomat. I too like seeing both types of theaters. I know in the past, every now and then they would show a home theater that was not in a million dollar home.The expensive theaters are nice to look at,but the theaters that are,as they say,"built on a shoestring" let you know that its possible for the average guy to have a nice home theater.

14. scott>sau

I encourage all of you to let your voice be heard to the AVI editor, like I did. There is power in numbers.