What's new

A/V Advice (1 Viewer)

KDRDoc

Grip
Real Name
Brian
Hi,

So a few years ago (~2009) I purchased an Onkyo THX A/V Receiver for our home theater set up....well in 2011 we took an international assignment for work and put it in storage. I don't recall the model....and the paperwork is all in storage. :wacko:

We now have been told we will be extending our international assignment at least another 3 years and I we miss our HT.

Soooo, I need to figure out if it is worth pulling it out of storage in the US and hoping it runs on 220v OR I buy a new receiver and sell the old one whenever we go back.

The help I need is:

1. If anyone knows if the older Onkyo THX A/V models run on 220 (selector switch?) or if the technology has advance so much it is worth buying a new A/V and what would be the recommendation.

2. We will also need to purchase new speakers as the older ones in storage are from the 1990s. :blink: :eek:

We had a 5.1 THX set up....with a Pioneer 50" Plasma.... :huh:

Thanks for the help and advice.....budget is less than 5,000 Euros for the Receiver and speakers, if that helps.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Buy new stuff. The shipping cost + inverters(no, it won't work on 240) and "may not even work with 50hz"...

From what I have seen, Euro market is ahead of the US market...in term of 2015 product already released. (I wouldn't buy anything 2014)

Depending "what 6yo Onkyo you have"...it could be worth $100 to $1000.

KDRDoc

Grip
Real Name
Brian
Thanks.....although the shipping would be free (work would pay for it)

So unless you guys have advice for new stuff, :D I'll lurk around to see what has changed in the past 5 years....

Any other thoughts?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Well, new 2015 isn't out yet. But...

That technically doesn't matter if neither of these are on your radar...

4K(UHD BD)
Atmos/DTS X

Since you are over there...and they barely have a presence here...

Dali
Tannoy

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Oh yeah, since shipping is free(assume Great Britain??)...

Scare up a pair of 70s LS3/5A to bring home. Over there those are relatively easy to come by.

The guy behind the LS3/5(A) started Harbeth. Not a speaker company I know much about, but there is a member here with some(or...at least had wanted some...not sure what they cost. You can't follow every speaker brand...)

KDRDoc

Grip
Real Name
Brian
schan1269 said:
Well, new 2015 isn't out yet. But...

That technically doesn't matter if neither of these are on your radar...

4K(UHD BD)
Atmos/DTS X

Since you are over there...and they barely have a presence here...

Dali
Tannoy

The older Onkyo was a THX system....how does Atmos / DTS X compare? (Sounds like I have some technical catch up reading to do!)

Need to explain the "new" to the other boss. ;)

UHD BD - not on the radar per se, but currently running BD via HTPC (built it prior to going over to avoid buying a new BD and to watch US TV via internet) Will likely upgrade entire HTPC since it is 4 years old.

I'll check out the speakers....

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Atmos/DTS X is height(over head) as IIz/DSX/Presence before.

By "system"...are you refering to the Onkyo pre-package as the 92/93/94/9500 THX?

If so...it probably had IIz.

KDRDoc

Grip
Real Name
Brian
schan1269 said:
Atmos/DTS X is height(over head) as IIz/DSX/Presence before.

By "system"...are you refering to the Onkyo pre-package as the 92/93/94/9500 THX?

If so...it probably had IIz.

Yes...IIz, if I can recall correctly from 4 years ago.

By "system" we have a THX speakers (from the early 1990s) in storage I used with the Onkyo THX for 5.1

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
You could send yourself the speakers. I'd sell that Onkyo. 3-5 years is "when the next thing in audio happens" to create the urge for a new AVR anyway. You are "past that" with the current one(do you remember if it is HDMI 1.3 or 1.4?).

Instead of making it work...buy one there.

I'm also the type to "try local stuff". My GF is trying to talk me into retiring at age 50(when I'll "have enough"..combined with her never wanting to retire. Long story there...).

If I move to Spain...last thing I want to do is eat McDonald's and buy Polk speakers...

KDRDoc

Grip
Real Name
Brian
schan1269 said:
You could send yourself the speakers. I'd sell that Onkyo. 3-5 years is "when the next thing in audio happens" to create the urge for a new AVR anyway. You are "past that" with the current one(do you remember if it is HDMI 1.3 or 1.4?).

Instead of making it work...buy one there.

I'm also the type to "try local stuff". My GF is trying to talk me into retiring at age 50(when I'll "have enough"..combined with her never wanting to retire. Long story there...).

If I move to Spain...last thing I want to do is eat McDonald's and buy Polk speakers...

The bonus(?) is the wife doesn't like the old speakers - "too big" and would support getting new ones :D

We are in Finland now and will be moving to Spain later this year.....my boss loves Genelec (G2 / G3 and HT series) for example.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks