A/v 3 question

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by JoelTW, Jun 7, 2003.

1. JoelTW

JoelTW Stunt Coordinator

My dad is building the a/v 3's from gr research... we can't figure out what the following text in a diagram means

.375" radius
    back side of
    woofer hole

Any ideas? It seems to be the radius for the screws, what does back side mean?

2. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Joel,

It's saying to round over the inside of the woofer holes. Simply turn the baffle over before you attach it and round over the back side. I usually just use a 1/2" roundover bit that's not all the way down. Works great.

3. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

That's something new.

I guess now the designs call for more extreme detail such as rounding the braces, and now the inside of the front baffle.

Makes sense if you want free air flow and slightly more volume. As long as you have the router and the time I see why not doing it.

Of course I did not do this on my AV-3s but I did however use the 6.2 uf Sonicaps as an upgrade and may I tell you it made one very noticeable difference. I had 2 pairs of the AV-3s in the same room, and A/B/A compared them both. The vocals sounded more realistic and the overall sound was just less harsh and distorted. Just something to think about as a $26 upgrade in the near future that I'd recommend.

4. JoelTW

JoelTW Stunt Coordinator

well he said he doesn't want to round it over because it's a waste of time [​IMG]

well, our half-way put together speaker sounded pretty nice... [​IMG]

5. Danny Richie

Danny Richie Stunt Coordinator

Rounding over the inside edge minimizes edge reflections.

This get more and more important as baffle thickness increases.

A really think front baffle can make the mids sound like they are playing through a pipe.

A large radius minimizes this effect.