A/V 1+ Question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JeffTodd, Mar 25, 2002.

1. JeffTodd

JeffTodd Stunt Coordinator

During the last Austin HTF Meet, Danny from GR Research was there demo`ing his speakers. I absolutely loved what I believe are the A/V 1+ speakers (the ones with the silver auto paint covering them). Anywho, I would like to build a pair of these and possibly a third to pull center duty. My question, does the kit just come with the drivers, crossovers, terminal cups, port hardware? or do the kits include the MDF as well?

Ideally, I would like to just get the parts minus the MDF and just make all the cuts myself. I am sure this is an option, but I did not see it explicitely on the web site. Does anyone know about this? And if so what is the price?

2. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Jeff,

The AV1+'s do come without the cabinets. As a matter of fact, unless otherwise stated, all of Danny's kits are sans cabinets. He is selling raw MDF cabinets for the AV1+'s (assuming he has any left) but if you can build your own that's the way to go.

Brian

3. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

Jeff, Brian didn't tell you that he will be able to build GR cabinets. Send him an e-mail asking for a preliminary quote estimate. Also, If you are in no hurry, I could build 'em for you.

4. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
  5. JeffTodd

Thanks guys, it makes sense to me now. I was just reading it wrong or something.

And thanks Hank, but if I am goin to buy the kit then I might as well go ahead and build the enclosures as well. I want the complete experience. Although I may be harassing you later on about veneering questions if I decide to go that finishing route.

6. Hank Frankenberg

Be careful, be very careful. If you immerse yourself in the "complete experience", you'll be HOOKED!

7. JeffTodd

Sadly enough I think I am already hooked.....this is without even having built anything yet. I can just picture myself slaving away for hours in the garage only to be dragged out by the wife to pay attention to the kids. "Just deliver my food under the garage door please"

8. JeffTodd

Now another question for you more experinced folks out there.

After looking at Brian Steeve's pics of his new Audax speakers, which are damn fine looking, I am now thinking that either the Audax job or the GR A/V 1+ will be good choices for a DIY project.

Has anyone autioned these two speakers side by side? I know it would be kind of hard to do with them both being DIY kits, but I figure its worth a shot. Both seem to be in the same ballpark pricewise, and I am sure they both sound excellent.

Any info/advice is welcome.

9. Jeffrey Noel

Jeffrey Noel Screenwriter

Another question about the a/v 1+ kits: Are the $300 kits just for one speaker overall, or is it $300 for two speakers overall?

These look pretty interesting, especially their 91dB sensitivity!

10. JeffTodd

I am pretty sure that the $300 price tag is for the pair. I am assuming that because the single center is priced at $169ish.

11. Jeffrey Noel

Jeffrey Noel Screenwriter

Thanks Jeff! That's what I was thinking but just wanted to be for sure. Dammit, I now know what I'll be blowing money on this summer! [​IMG]

12. JeffTodd

Yea, ain't it great? I mentioned to my gf tonight that I would like to put away about 300 bux for a speaker kit. She of course was like, "300 dollars? and you haven't built anything at all yet?"
    Little does she know that I pretty much have an entire HT setup in mind for a huge expansive DIY project. Beginning with speaker stands, then a rack/TV stand, followed by a sub (probably based on the Dayton 12" DVC, ported box), next either Audax or GR-Research Mains and center, and ending up with some surrounds from somewhere.
    This is going to take some manipulating on my part, but I also realize that Rome wasn't built in a day. But it should be fun nonetheless. Mind you I still have to buy a new receiver, because it just isn't right to run all this new DIY gear off a DPL Aiwa receiver.
    Man, I am going to be so broke. [​IMG]

13. David-S

David-S Second Unit

Do the GR kits come with the crossover?? I'm assuming they do since it's a "proprietary" crossover, but it doesn't say specifically...
    [​IMG]

14. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    David,

The kit's come with everything you need except the enclosures. Drivers, crossover components, terminal cups, gaskets, screws, wire, solder, etc... are all included in the kits.

15. Zac_F

Zac_F Agent

Rome wasn't built in a day...and you don't have to buy it all at once. Start with a pair, that'll take some time for an inexperienced builder to do. When you're done about 6 months later, the next pair's $$ won't seem like so much.

Remember to budget for tools. They cost also. Better though if you can borrow them.

16. Hank Frankenberg

Real men don't loan out their precious tools [​IMG]

17. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

In addition to Jeff's post, one thing that the GR kits do not come with are the quick disconnect terminals to connect to the drivers. I really hate the idea of soldering to the speaker terminals since I'm definitely not an expert solderer. I do pretty good but I know that not everyone has that much experience. My concern is that someone could damage the driver terminals since they're rather small.

Also, being a long time ACI customer, soldering to the speaker leads voids the drivers' warranty. This may not be an issue for the GR kits.

Brian

18. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Yes,

The GR tweeter is especially sensitive to heat. If you solder, make sure you tin the wire and the driver terminal first to keep long exposure of heat off the terminal. The terminal will melt off, then you have to dissasemble the tweeter to reconnect it. I learned this the hard way but was able to save the tweeter. The woofer is much more solid, don't have to worry too much about those terminals.

If you tin the wire and the terminal you shouldn't have problems, just remember to use short durations on the tweeters, let them cool.

19. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Jeff,

BTW, there's absolutely no documentation or designation that I could find, but is the smaller terminal on the tweeter the negative one?

Brian

20. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Brian, Yes. The larger one is + and should have been marked. All my tweeters came with a + marked in permanent marker on the shielding cover right above the larger terminal. Yours wasn't marked?

Also on Dennis Murphy's site he explains that the larger terminal is positive in the MB1 plans. Danny really needs to get some kind of instruction guide for his kits for people that don't know these things.