A unique speaker placement question - HELP

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Ian_J, Nov 6, 2003.

1. Ian_J

Ian_J Stunt Coordinator

Oct 15, 2003
    Sorry to ask this question but nothing came up from a search.

I have a nice old Nakamichi with 5.1 analog inputs and a pro logic processor. I’m considering purchasing the Denon 2900 to both add a better DVD with 5.1 digital & DVD Audio. I’m also upgrading my rear surrounds at the same time.

The Problem:

Eventually I’d like to upgrade to 7.1. Currently my side surrounds are installed in the ceiling. My couch also sits about 1.5 feet away from the wall. So, to keep my rear surrounds at the same height as the side surrounds (per dolby website) I would need to install them in the ceiling also. Unfortunately this will place the rear channel almost directly above my head.

The Questions:

1) Will this placement situation adequately reproduce the 6.1 / 7.1 soundtracks or would it be better just to stick with 5.1?

2)Due to the fact that I’m purchasing all 4 surround speakers now, can I hook them up to the 5.1 receiver to generate a larger / fuller 5.1 sound field?

Any comments are greatly appreciated.
  2. ScottCarr

ScottCarr Second Unit

Jan 28, 2003
    As much as I would like to adhere to Dolby or THX standards my HT says sorry!!!!

So with my couch about 1 foot from the back wall my surrounds were all at 6 feet on the wall. the rears were barely audible. So I lowered the ears to 4.5 feet and let the side surrounds at 6 feet. Vast improvement.

Sorry Dolby and THX