A unique idea to reduce lag or quackery?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Eric_L, Sep 10, 2005.

1. Eric_L

Eric_L Screenwriter

I met a young retired data tech from my phone company last week at my business. I jokingly mentioned something about getting my ass handed to me regularly by 10 year old lag ninjas on various online games. I told him the reason why is probably because I live on the edge of town, a fair distance from any DSL hubs.

He suggested I open up the box at the wall and at the house junction. Usually there are four wires per line, with each phone line requiring two - leaving the other two unused. He said to connect the additional lines to the two that were being used, creating a redundant connection. He said that should help with my lag problem.

Does anyone here know anything about this? Does this make any sense or is one of my legs now longer than the other?

I hope I described ti well, if not I'll try to fill in the gaps. Thanks for sharing any opinions on this.

2. BrianB

BrianB Producer

I don't think that'll make a blind bit of difference. Is your telco going to suddenly start sending/receiving data over those two lines just because you've hooked them up on your end?

3. BrianW

BrianW Cinematographer

Brian
    He's full of it. It won't add redundancy to your DSL line any more than it would work to tie your neighbor's phone lines into yours. They just don't go the same place. At worst, you'll do some damage, and at best, you'll make the phone company angry.

Besides, even if it did add redundancy as your friend suggests, no amount of added redundancy will solve a latency problem. Two bowling balls dropped from a rooftop don't drop any faster than one. If latency is your problem, then what you need is a shorter building.

4. Mark Shannon

Mark Shannon Screenwriter

As far as improving your lag, I don't think it'll do a lick of difference. But I can say that it'll add redundancy. About 8 years ago all of the phone jacks in my house except for one stopped working. The one that stopped working was the first in the series (the order they were connected coming out of junction box or whatever it is). Luckily, my aunt's fiance worked for Bell Canada, and was actually able to use those two extra wires to rewire each of the other jacks, so they actually worked.

5. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

When they installed our DSL here, they simply used the two extra wires in the line for the high-speed connection - no additional wiring was run. All 4 wires go to the same terminal plate in the junction box...

6. BrianW

BrianW Cinematographer

Brian
    Technicians will often do this if DSL is installed in a home with only one phone line set up for use. It keeps phone conversations and DSL traffic on separate lines, which obviates the need for filtering at the house, and multiplexing at the phone company. This doesn't mean that the two pairs of wires terminate at the same place at the phone company's equipment. Indeed, the fact that the wires DON'T terminate at the same place is the very reason they do this.

Edit: In case it isn't clear, my vote is for Quackery.

7. Eric_L

Eric_L Screenwriter

I thought so also. The only thought I had was that maybe it reduced intereference or improved the signal quality somehow. I know the last mile is the worst - The best I could I figure was that with twice the copper the signal may be more clear.

Thanks for your replies. I'll save myself the trouble next weekend.

Now, about the ten year old lag-ninjas and my ass....

8. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

I didn't mean to imply that both pairs of lines went to the same place at the phone co., but rather was just shedding some light on the installation practices here.

9. Hunter P

Hunter P Screenwriter

Yet another noob blaming their equipment. j/k[​IMG]