A Tumult woofer with 2400W... will I fry the woofer?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by ClaudeL, Sep 9, 2003.

1. ClaudeL

ClaudeL Stunt Coordinator

NOT THE ENTIRE WOOFER! LOL!

The tread said it all... In a 3 cubic ft enclosure with two Stryke PR1600, will it be too much if I buy a QSC 2400W amp?

As you know, I wrote a tread lately about a Maelstrom vs Tumult comparo. And you know I want the woofers to works at their best [​IMG] 1600W is normaly the Pe of the Tumult, more sustained power than that, and I risk to fry the voice coil I imagine. But still... do you think that I risk to BAKE the voice coil eventualy if I choose a 2400W amp?

Thank you [​IMG]

2. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Not if you calibrate properly. I think my issues came about from not having calibrated the system properly and by also using an LT circuit. The combination of the two fried a voice coil.

3. ClaudeL

Even if you drive the woofer hardly? (full 2400W into it) :b

4. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

I think by the time you drive 2.4KW into the driver at 20Hz or so the rest of your speakers will probably already be toast. That's why I say if you calibrate properly. If you go throwing test tones at the damn thing then yeah, you'll probably end up with a 60lb. paper weight.

5. Kyle Richardson

Kyle Richardson Screenwriter

The question is: Why?
    Yes, if calibrated properly then you can use an amp that large but the power rating of the driver is 1600w so why risk voiding the warranty by using an amp that puts out 800 watts more than its rated for? Thats not to say you cannot use the 2400w with great success but it takes experience to get it set up properly to get the high SPL's without blowing the driver.
    Remember, mechanical power handling is often less than the electrical power handling as well.

6. Denis P

Denis P Extra

You would need to verify it with a simulation, but I think it is very likely that you would crush the voice coil against the back plate (or perhaps turn your cone from an "innie" to an "outie")long before you reached the thermal power handling limits. Especially if you try to send it even a fraction of 2400 watts below the 20 hz tuning frequency. The good news is that your ears will be bleeding and you will be in so much pain that a blown driver will be the least of your problems.

7. Allen Ross

Allen Ross Supporting Actor

if you do it, i want to see pics of it on fire [​IMG]

8. ClaudeL

9. ClaudeL

10. Josh<>G

Josh<>G Extra

I feel sorry for your nieghbours. [​IMG]

11. Seth_L

Seth_L Screenwriter

I'm using a QSC PLX2402 on mine. It's fine. The PMax of the Tumult is 4800W for 1 sec just like the Brahmas. The 1600W rating is a 1 hour rating. For short transients 2400W is safe (not test tones).

12. ClaudeL

Oh thanx Seth... I was justly waiting for an answer from you! [​IMG]

13. Craig Treusdell

I am running a Tumult in a 5 ft^3 box with 2 18" PRs with 2500g and am currently bridged on a QSC RMX 2450 with no infrasonic filter.

Still going strong, but very carefully!

When I watch movies I set the gain at 9 o'clock (16dB gain). Music and I set it at 3 o'clock (30dB gain). This has not been calibrated, just where it sounds right . Might have something to do with the receiver

I wish I had bought the PLX 3402. When my other Tumult returns I will unbridge the RMX 2450 and only get 750 watts per channel. The PLX 3402 will give 1100 watts per channel. Too late now. At least the 2450 will eventually be a good test amp.

I still think I will have to add another 2 Tumults and amp to achieve my goals, but that is next year....

14. ClaudeL

15. Craig Treusdell

ClaudeL,

Ever sit in a vehicle and lose the ability to see and breathe? .... [​IMG]

16. ClaudeL

I got quite close that feeling one time but im sure not as much as you got... but I really know and understand what you mean [​IMG] This is what you want to acheive in house? Damn... if your skilled in "wood working" just build like 4 LAB horns! With 8 labs woofers + 1000W of power for each horn, they should give you togheter if well placed above 140 dB from 25Hz and up! By the way, if some people knows better than me those labs horn, feel free to correct me and my SPL number if wrong. I think that this would be cheaper than making 3 Tumult subs and you would tear up your walls until they get transformed in smoking ash! [​IMG]

17. Rich X

Rich X Stunt Coordinator