What's new

A true need or is it upgradeitis? Long. (1 Viewer)

Steve Morgan

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
For the last month I have been thinking about either upgrading my front 3 speakers or my sub woofers. My system is as follows; Front L/R speakers Von Schweikert VR3.5's, Center VSA LCR35,Rears/sides VSA TS350's, Subs Paradigm Servo15a and VSA S/3 eq'd with a BFD. Power is a Cinenova Grande 5 channel and a Parasound 2003a, Prepro is Lex MC-1.
This system is truly astounding yet my room is huge,8000 cubic ft. so there is a slight lack of punch in the mid to low bass. The bass is definitly there it just does not hit you in the chest when it is called for. Good but not shock and awe. My thoughts were to move up to the VSA VR4SE and LCR40 or upgrade the sub to a Denali or similar product B4+.My subs now are very capable subs and do pressurize the room and make an impact when required to. If I was in an area where I could home demo I would but its not possible so to try in home I haves to pay the shipping costs. If the product is not what I wanted then we are talking $300 to $400 to ship back which is a 1/4 of the cost of the sub or speaker. Seeing how I am about 80% in to HT, DSS/DVD's and 20% music the sub might make more sense seeing how the VR3.5's are very accurate and transparent in the highs and tight and articulate in the mid bass. Yet a true full range front trio might give me that mid-bass punch and the current subs fill in the low end. Am I just chasing the Holy Grail of Sonics or is it upgradeitis. Advice needed from ecperienced Audiophiles and HT addicts.
Thanks,
Steve

Ron_L

Second Unit
try out the Velodyne HGS18

18" driver.

Should add a " presence " even with your existing subs.

=)

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Steve,

I truly think you'll get the most benefit by upgrading the subs. The subs you have just aren't going to give you the performance you're looking for. I even wonder if the Vel would do the trick. If you don't go with something custom, the B4 is the only thing I'd consider based on the price range you're in.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks