1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

A trip back to the Summer of 1984 at the movies...

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Reggie W, Aug 22, 2016.

1. Tony J Case

Tony J Case Cinematographer

What - you mean just this month or in general?

That's not fair - the month just started. I havent had a chance yet!

Behold the best, most glorious Christmas movie EVER!

Well, next to Die Hard, that is. . . .

Reggie W likes this.
  2. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    So, in doing some reading around the interwebs I was reminded of this thread. So, I am reviving it for the purpose of using it as a reference.

It was a lot of fun reading through it again though. I seem to have an odd attraction to reading about films from the 1980s because I missed a lot of films during that decade and now I am trying to sort out if what I missed was any good...you know, like Invasion U.S.A. which Tony watches monthly and I had never even heard of...

3. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

It's a Chuck Norris movie. Proceed with caution. :)

And I'll quote my post from a couple years ago because I still feel the same:
    I will also add that I've warmed up to Streets Of Fire recently.

Reggie W likes this.
  4. Message #64 of 73 Dec 30, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
    Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

I actually hate that Ghostbusters got so popular. I saw with two of my best friends in the theater when it was first released at 12 years old. It was our favorite movie the second the credits rolled, and we formed a "Ghost investigation" club.
    But we would quote the movie in school and talk about it, and everyone knew what it was, and got everything we were talking about. It wasn't our special movie that only we knew about. Everyone knew about it, and that killed our interest quite a bit.

skylark68 and Reggie W like this.
  5. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    I am trying to sort out the films of the 1980s. I certainly don't romanticize the films of that era but I will say going back to check out films from that period that I missed when they were released I have found some gems.

One huge example for me is the John Milius Conan film. I had totally skipped that because I had no interest in Conan and was no fan of Arnold...who seemed to me to be just a horrible actor.

My brother loves the picture and had told me over and over through the years I should watch it. When I finally did I was stunned and basically feel that Milius made the greatest comic book film that has ever been made and I do not think it will ever be topped. And it really is the best thing I have ever seen Arnold do.

I mean if people now could make a comic book film like that I would go all the time.

Bryan^H likes this.
  6. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I haven't seen the Conan movies in forever. I should check them out again.

Not to go too far off topic but I thought Schwarzenegger was good as the Terminator (at least the first two, I don't remember the others enough to comment). And while there's an easy joke about Arnold's acting to make in there, it's not easy to convincingly be a robot. It's like when someone plays themselves in a movie- it may sound easy but it's harder than it looks if you're doing it well.

Reggie W and Bryan^H like this.
  7. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

Now that Marvel finally has Conan the Barbarian back in their comic book line up(after years of Dark Horse owning the character) I wonder if they will make a proper Conan film(not the Lionsgate version thank you very much). Although I thought the first Conan film with Arnold was fantastic

Reggie W likes this.
  8. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    It’s really the only good Conan film.

And 1984 was definitely my favorite year of moviegoing.

Bryan^H likes this.
  9. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp

Russell
  10. Vic Pardo

Vic Pardo Screenwriter

Brian Camp
    I saw INVASION USA at the Harris Theater on New York's 42nd Street and it was an unforgettable experience. The audience seemed to be rooting for the invading terrorists. The second feature was NINJA III: DOMINATION with the eminently forgettable Lucinda Dickey.

11. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    So, I was trying to remember what summer I had posted about...1984...was thinking of looking at another one.

12. Message #72 of 73 Jul 20, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
    steve jaros

steve jaros Supporting Actor

Steve
    The movies from that list that I remember seeing in the theater during the summer of 1984 were ...

Firestarter

Indiana Jones/Doom

Gremlins

Tightrope

I remember my initial reactions to those films being along the lines of "Firestarter - serviceable enough Stephen King adaptation" ... "Indy ... big disappointment, not nearly as good as the first one"... "Gremlins ... turgid Christmas hating propaganda" .... "Tightrope ... Best Eastwood movie in years". Still think the last one is a minor gem that doesn't get mentioned as much as it should.

Box-office wise,
    Indiana Jones was expected to dominate, with Gremlins being a top contender thanks also to the Spielberg connection. It was a surprise when Ghostbusters bust out to dominate both of them and become the Movie of the Summer.

Reggie W likes this.
  13. Jeffrey D

Jeffrey D Second Unit

Jeffrey D Hanawalt
    The 2 films I saw that Summer are Top Secret (really liked it) and Ghostbusters (didn’t like it as much as the public seemed to). I could have sworn Beverly Hills Cop was a Summer release- it came out early December.